Green water coming through return

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
dnjsmom88
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I have a 27' above ground pool...everything but the frame is new in the last 2 years...hayward 220 sand filter is about a month old...1 1/2 hp motor.

Postby dnjsmom88 » Mon 08 Jun, 2009 18:42

This is the 4th summer we have had our pool...it came with the house. The pump is about 2 years old, the Hayward 220 sand filter is about a month old. We are trying to get the dead algea out of our pool so the water won't keep turning green but everytime we vacuum the algae comes right back in through the return. It did this last summer and that is what prompted us to get a new sand filter as we were told that was the problem. Now we have a new sand filter and it is doing the same thing. Anyone have any ideas???

Thanks...Kym

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 08 Jun, 2009 21:01

You should be shocking with high levels of chlorine to break down the algae. Read Defeating Algae and please get yourself a proper test kit (either the Taylor K-2006 or the TF100 from tftestkits.net).

You can try adding a small amount of Diatomaceous Earth (DE) to your sand filter as described here though this would need to be repeated every time you backwash. I think chlorine should clear your pool better as shown here.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”