yellow algae

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Larry T.

yellow algae

Postby Larry T. » Wed 15 Jul, 2009 09:13

My spa has been out of balance for months --- not being used. The only symptom from this is that there is a build up of yellow scum on the water line. As I am getting the chemicals balanced, this turned to a black tar-like substance which is very oily and sticky. After much constant cleaning of the spa surface above water line and skimming of foam off the top of water, this has now turned back to a yellow scum.

As the cycle is running, the water foams up. (Defoamer is doing no good.) Once the cycle turns off, the foam settles down and a yellow ring is left around the spa above the waterline. It is extremely sticky and gummy. It crusts on top of the bromine floater and in the walls of the filter chamber (above the water line). This slime is difficult to wash off of hands, too.

Is this yellow algae or do I have another problem?

Larry

Blazing

yellow algae

Postby Blazing » Sat 28 Aug, 2010 18:11

The best way to kill algae at teh water line is to buy a chlorine tab and actualy color the water line white with it. It will not hurt your spa shell if you only leave it on for about 10-15 minutes, and you can do the process from inside the spa while enjoying it. Other than that, keep the pH up (7.6-7.8) and the sanitizer readings at the upper end of the acceptable limit reccomended by the manufacturer.

For more questions, see my web site at solvemypoolprob or you can reach me at aaw

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”