PLease help

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
jeff6898
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 24' round sand filter

PLease help

Postby jeff6898 » Wed 15 Jul, 2009 09:31

24 ft round vinyl

Well I am at a lost. Been fighting this green alagea for 2 months. Had it light green where i cna see the bottom at one point. Storms came about 2 weeks ago and since then very very dark green. LOcal pool store had me put in 14 gallons of liquid chlorine, 1 qt muratic acid and algecide. Did that waited 48 hours pured in 10 more gallons of liqiuid cholorien, made sure chlorinator is full of chlorine tablets. Still very dark green hasn;t lightened up a drop. PLease help I am spending a fortune and nothing is happening.

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

PLease help

Postby Denali » Thu 16 Jul, 2009 02:53

jeff6898 wrote:24 ft round vinyl

Well I am at a lost. Been fighting this green alagea for 2 months. Had it light green where i cna see the bottom at one point. Storms came about 2 weeks ago and since then very very dark green. LOcal pool store had me put in 14 gallons of liquid chlorine, 1 qt muratic acid and algecide. Did that waited 48 hours pured in 10 more gallons of liqiuid cholorien, made sure chlorinator is full of chlorine tablets. Still very dark green hasn;t lightened up a drop. PLease help I am spending a fortune and nothing is happening.

Hi,

What you need to know is your CYA level. If you have been using the chlorine tabs all along good chance the CYA level is high than you'd like it. If that is the case, the chlorine they have you adding may not be enough. When you know your CYA level and size of pool you can then figure just how much chlorine you'll need.

Best advice I can give you is get a good test kit. I like the Taylor K-2006. If you have to rely on the pool store to do your testing then you are kind of stuck with their advice.
jeff6898
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

PLease help

Postby jeff6898 » Fri 17 Jul, 2009 11:49

OK used my friends test kit 24ft round vinyl 13,600 gallons

TC 3.0
FC 3.0
CC 0.0
PH 8.0
TA 95
stabalizer 20
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

PLease help

Postby mr_clean » Fri 17 Jul, 2009 12:16

you need your CYA-conditioner at 50-60ppm to protect the chlorine and when buying it make sure it's a crushed powder conditioner not granular which takes a few weeks to disolve. You add it to a bucket of water to disolve it and add to the pool.
Having your chlorine level at 3ppm is not high enough for shock level which should be 20ppm or above until water clears up, so testing water 2-3 times a day and adding chlorine to keep boosted will be needed.
you also need to depending on the equipment backwash or clean the filter as needed when pressure rises on gauge or circulation slows down.
If this is a above ground pool with a small cartridge filter you will need to remove and clean it a few times a day so having 2-3 which are cheap will help alot. Running the pool 24/7 until clear and scrubbing pool dailey is also needed.
jeff6898
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

PLease help

Postby jeff6898 » Fri 17 Jul, 2009 13:14

I have a sand filter. THanks for the advice I will start following what I get here. Took the results to 2 pool places here and got 2 differant asnwers'

1 Lower PH to 7 or less then shock another 15 gallons liquid chlorine wait 24 hours add 10 more galllons

2 do nothing pool is green do to there being to much chlorine in pool.

Gotta love the pool stores in my area.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”