Green Pool

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Green Pool

Postby chem geek » Mon 20 Jul, 2009 00:07

The Muriatic Acid would lower your pH so that is reasonable (it's nasty stuff, however, so be careful of the fumes). However, the Stop Yellow is sodium bromide and will turn your pool into a bromine pool, at least for some number of weeks. It's basically a workaround if the CYA is too high since bromine doesn't bind to CYA so doesn't become ineffective (chlorine binds to CYA so higher CYA levels make chlorine less effective). All you need to do is shock the pool with a Free Chlorine (FC) level that is 40% of the CYA level, but if you didn't measure the CYA level yourself with a good test kit, then the 50 ppm may not be right. The only test you really have to have the pool store do is a test for metals (copper, iron).

If you don't get yourself a good test kit, then you are at the mercy of the numbers the pool store gives you so just do whatever they say and hope they know what they are doing. The Stop Yellow will likely kill the algae, but you'll have a high chlorine demand for weeks since bromine breaks down faster than chlorine (with CYA) and it won't fix the main problem that caused this algae in the first place which may be a high CYA level from continued use of stabilized chlorine products.

brianhill69
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 9x4 mtrs

Green Pool

Postby brianhill69 » Sun 02 Aug, 2009 09:45

buy a salt chlorinator and your problems will go away and you wont be useing harmfull chlorine , best place to buy one is e bay
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Green Pool

Postby chem geek » Sun 02 Aug, 2009 17:54

A saltwater chlorine generator (SWG) generates CHLORINE from the chloride (salt) in the water. It does save you from handling the chlorine, but not from swimming in it (not that there's anything wrong with this). PLEASE don't claim that salt chlorinators "don't use harmful chlorine". After all, what does the word "chlorinator" mean to you?

Green Pool

Postby Guest » Fri 21 May, 2010 13:52

you might try a bottle of sand filter cleaner you run it just enough to get in the sand filter and shut it off this only take a hfew seconds pour it straight in to the skimmer let it sit several hours and ta daaa my pool was clear you have to clean and kill the algae in the sand as well, it took me all summer to figure this out. I sure hope this helps you....

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”