Algae Problem

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
scheurer
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: My pool is 600 sq. ft surface area plus a spa of 50 sq. ft. The total water volume is approx. 20,000 gallons. It has a DE filter, and a plaster finish.

Algae Problem

Postby scheurer » Fri 24 Jul, 2009 20:01

I have an apparent algae problem which I cannot seem to solve.
The algae consists of a bunch of spots rather than a contiguous area of coverage (please see the attached photo). The spots are a yellowish brown color with a light or white halo surrounding each spot. I have been told that it is likely yellow or mustard algae, and was advised to use a yellow algaecide and follow-up with a superchlorination, while running the filter continuously. I followed these instructions, and superchlorinated two additional times (once with powder and once with liquid chlorine) but the spots have not gone away, and cannot be brushed off even with a stainless steel algae brush. I have been told that mustard algae, although tough to get rid of, brushes off rather easily. Not so with this algae. My next step is to superchlorinate multiple times (every 12 hours or so with a double dose until the problem is resolved or my bank account runs out from the chlorine and electric bills). Has anyone had this problem? I would appreciate any help.

Thanks
Algae Spots small.jpg
Algae Spots small.jpg (92.96 KiB) Viewed 1428 times

Blazing

Algae Problem

Postby Blazing » Sat 28 Aug, 2010 18:02

Let's make sure it is algae. Take a chlorine tab and color all of the spots in a small section of your pool white. If the spots go away you have algae. If not, the spotting is in the surface. If it is algae, I offer the solutions for free on my web site, solvemypoolproblems.com. If not, you can test to see if it is surface staining or deep down in the pool's surface by lowering the water level and pouring a cup of muriatic acid (Dilluted 1 part acid to 4 parts water) over a small stain, letting it sit for 20-30 secconds rinsing with water and then repeating the process 2-3 times. Algae is pretty much impervious to acid, staining is impervious to chlorine or shock treatments. If the stains do not loosen or dissappear completely with either method, your pool has an "internal" problem, and will probably need to be resurfaced to rid yourself of the staining.

The good news is that if the staining is unaffected with either the chlorine or the acid, it is most likely innert and will not cause you any problems other than "Appearance" related. You don't have to do anything, but you will have to live with the spots until you redo the pool.

I cover a lot of this information and a lot more free solutions on solvemypoolprobs I can also be reached at aaw

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”