Bright grren pool, all levels okay?

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
jimmijam

Postby jimmijam » Sun 27 Dec, 2009 20:37

I meed help! I am at my wits end. The story starts..... We took our automatic sunbather cover off our pool 8 weeks ago. the water was a lovely blue. I shut the cover, opened a few days later and it was bright green!! My pool guy (who I have since sacked) said it needed chlorine. Over the space of a week he kept super chlorinating the pool. Nothing happened, it still stayed green. Finally he said to take the water to the pool shop. The chlorine was 15. we thus had to put in chlorine remover to get it back to a usable level. Everything is now okay and balanced, however the pool is like a Shrek green. It is crystal clear. I have tried algecide, and recently put in a small amount of metal stain remover, all to no avail.

I am hoping that someone will have some suggestions. The copper and iron were both zero. Should I put in more metal remover, could the water be permanetly stained?

Thanks a lot.

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sun 27 Dec, 2009 20:44

By any chance, did the pH rise during the time the pool was closed? You could try lowering the pH and if the green fades, then it is likely a metal, probably copper.
jimmijam

Postby jimmijam » Sun 27 Dec, 2009 21:02

Thanks,

yes the PH got up to around 8.0. I have however had the copper tested and it came back as zero. Could it have stained the water. Do you think it will just fade itself? Would putting in more meatl remover help the problem?

Thanks
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 28 Dec, 2009 01:57

Having the water be green and not measure copper would be unusual, but it could be the copper is mostly out of solution as copper oxides or copper hydroxide so free copper metal ions might measure as too low for the test, though I suspect the test may be in error. At any rate, if you lower the pH and the color gets lighter (more clear), then it's very likely to be metal ions. A metal sequestrant (after lowering the pH) will help keep it in solution, but water replacement (or filtration through a water softener; ion exchange resin) is the only way to permanently remove the metal ions.

The next question is where the copper came from. Though iron is common in some water supplies, copper would usually only come from a copper heat exchanger if the pH got too low at some point, possibly by pouring acid or putting Trichlor into the skimmer (both a definite no-no). By any chance, is your pool vinyl lined and blue in color? If so, then you could have iron in the poor with a yellow color and against the blue vinyl it may look green.

Also, what is the Cyanuric Acid (CYA, aka stabilizer or conditioner) level? There are some types of algae that can make the water look clear green, but most make the water cloudy green. I don't think you've got algae given the chlorine levels, but if the CYA is extraordinarily high, then chlorine won't kill the algae very well unless at a very high level (higher than even 15 ppm FC, depending on the CYA level). However, what you've described sounds much more like metal ions.
jimmijam

Postby jimmijam » Mon 28 Dec, 2009 18:17

Thanks for your advice, i will check the levels. I am currently droping the PH. Our pool is a fully tiled white pool. I will let you know how I go, once again, thanks for your assistance.
gbarks
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: My fiberglass pool is approx 16x32 and 7' deep. It is more than 13 years old. It still looks the same as when it was new. I use my Pool, the ONLY 6 MONTH algaecide that is EPA Registered and has been sold in the USA for more than 22 YEARS. It is great, it works, just pour it in and swim immediately. I add water TWICE a year to keep my pool algae free.

Postby gbarks » Wed 03 Feb, 2010 10:07

As the owner/manufacturer of *** Pool the ONLY EPA Registered pool algaecide that Kills ALL algae for up to 6 MONTHS, GUARANTEED, I had to reply to your post. Eliminating ALL algae from the pool FOREVER is possible. Please visit my webpage to get info about *** Pool. It is safe and easy to use, just pour it in and swim immediately. It does not foam. It may be used in any type pool and in all types of pool water, even salt water pools.

I no the frustration of fighting algae, and the expense that it can cause. This is why I have sold Kleen Pool for more than 22 years in the USA and Internationally. Most don't know that algae is a fungus, and requires an algaecide to kill it. Most add chlorine or shock when they see green or any other color of algae in the pool. This is just wrong.. chlorine and shock are bleach, which only kills bacteria NOT fungus. This is why why you add chlorine it bleaches the DEAD VISIBLE algae, it does not kill the live INVISIBLE spores of algae that are still in the pool. Algae is in all types of water, it is invisible UNTIL it blooms or dies, this is why algae keeps coming back. Once you add Kleen Pool it immediately kills ALL the algae in the pool, even the live invisible algae spores, it keeps killing any newly introduced algae for up to 6 months. Actually when you add *** Pool twice a year you will maintain an ALGAE FREE pool.

I do not want you to think of this reply as an advertisment, not at all. It's just that everyone needs to know how to eliminate algae forever in their pools. My customers have been buying *** Pool every 6 months for many years. We have become very good friends and we call it our Kleen Pool Family. I hope you will check out my Pool to eliminate your algae frustration and hopefully tell all your friends too.

Thank you and feel free to contact me direct if you have any questions.
Gay Barks, President
Water Works, Inc.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 03 Feb, 2010 12:47

Gay,

Kleen Pool has an EPA registration number of 54564-2 and as described here as copper sulfate (pentahydrate). There is no question that copper kills algae and prevents its growth, but it can also stain pool surfaces (especially plaster) or color the water if overused, especially if the pH rises.

Don't you think it's dangerous advice to give someone with clear green water that appeared when the pH rose to offer them a product that would add copper to the water?

Your website claims the following:

DID YOU KNOW that when you see GREEN, RED, YELLOW in your pool water that it is DEAD algae. BUT the LIVE INVISIBLE algae is still there. DON'T add chlorine or SHOCK because chlorine is bleach and only bleaches the DEAD algae. Algae is a FUNGUS which can only be KILLED by using an ALGAECIDE.

This is complete baloney. Sufficient levels of active chlorine (hypochlorous acid) absolutely positively kills algae, not only that which is visible, but also that which is not visible. Though it certainly bleaches the chlorophyll, it also combines with or oxidizes other chemicals in the algal cells killing the algae. Algae is not a fungus, but is a single-celled plant (except for blue-green algae, aka cyanobacteria, which is a bacteria). It is absolutely killed by sodium hypochlorite (bleach, chlorinating liquid) as you can see from Clorox bleach which is a registered EPA pesticide that has as one of its uses "algaecide" and one of its pests "algae" and one of its crops and locations "swimming pool water". Not only is chlorine a registered pesticide, but it (in various products) also passes EPS DIS/TSS-12 as a swimming pool disinfectant, something for which copper alone cannot pass since it does not kill bacteria quickly enough.

Please change your website immediately to correct the false and misleading information you have written which, as part of advertising for a commercial product where you get money from people, might be considered to be fraud.

The problem with algae in most pools is due to not having a high enough active chlorine (hypochlorous acid) level to kill algae. This most often occurs from continued use of stabilized chlorine products (i.e. Trichlor or Dichlor) as this builds up Cyanuric Acid (CYA). CYA has most of the active chorine bind to it significantly lowering its level. To prevent algae growth, in a manually dosed pool one should target a minimum FC that is 7.5% of the CYA level and certainly never let it get below 5% of the CYA level (in an SWG pool, an FC that is 5% of the CYA level is sufficient).

There are over 20,000 members of The PoolForum, 10,000 members of Trouble Free Pool and many members of this forum who have been maintaining crystal clear pools without use of any algaecides, clarifiers or other products other that bleach or chlorinating liquid (or an SWG) and perhaps a small amount of acid.

You can certainly use a copper ion product to prevent algae growth, but it is not necessary if you properly maintain the appropriate FC/CYA ratio. If you do use copper, you have to be very careful about staining so should not use too much copper and need to keep the pH lower. For plaster pools, I would be very, very cautious since they tend to stain more easily (due to surface chemistry).
AlanGMyerson

Postby AlanGMyerson » Wed 03 Feb, 2010 14:59

It may be used in any type pool and in all types of pool water, even salt water pools.- gbarks

Wrong. It would be foolish to use copper sulfate in plaster or salt water pools.

Most don't know that algae is a fungus - gbarks

Wrong. Algae is not a fungus. I would think that someone who presents himself or herself as a knowledgeable expert would know this simple fact.

, and requires an algaecide to kill it. - gbarks

Since anything that kills algae is an algaecide, then this is redundant. Chlorine is an algaecide.

Most add chlorine or shock when they see green or any other color of algae in the pool. This is just wrong.. chlorine and shock are bleach, which only kills bacteria NOT fungus.- gbarks

No, it is you who are wrong. Chlorine kills bacteria, fungus and algae.

gbarks, you are giving people very bad information.
Dollmaker
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 1300+ gallon in ground free form fiberglass.

Postby Dollmaker » Wed 05 May, 2010 22:47

jimmijam wrote:I meed help! I am at my wits end. The story starts..... We took our automatic sunbather cover off our pool 8 weeks ago. the water was a lovely blue. I shut the cover, opened a few days later and it was bright green!! My pool guy (who I have since sacked) said it needed chlorine. Over the space of a week he kept super chlorinating the pool. Nothing happened, it still stayed green. Finally he said to take the water to the pool shop. The chlorine was 15. we thus had to put in chlorine remover to get it back to a usable level. Everything is now okay and balanced, however the pool is like a Shrek green. It is crystal clear. I have tried algecide, and recently put in a small amount of metal stain remover, all to no avail.

I am hoping that someone will have some suggestions. The copper and iron were both zero. Should I put in more metal remover, could the water be permanetly stained?

Thanks a lot.

okay, stupid question...have you taken a clear jar and checked to see if the water is actually green or could there be staining on the surfaces below the water level? I thought our water was green too, but it's clear, so I'm thinking it's the green staining on the walls of the pool.
I did say it was a dumb question :-) We're having trouble getting ours cleared up this year too :-(

Postby Guest » Thu 06 May, 2010 10:29

We have the same problem. When we opened the pool it was clear, with a little haze. We put in the chemicals and it turned a bright green. Can someone please HELP?...
Xclusive
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Xclusive » Thu 06 May, 2010 11:46

Pool User wrote:We have the same problem. When we opened the pool it was clear, with a little haze. We put in the chemicals and it turned a bright green. Can someone please HELP?...

Hi Pool User,

I usually defer these type of questions to chemgeek because he's an absolute pro in this area. But I have a question. When you touch the pool walls, do they feel slimy?
Katy

Postby Katy » Thu 06 May, 2010 18:35

Yes, My husband got in it today and tried to clean it. But it still hasn't changed. It did get cloudy& green.. we also vaccumed it.. We have had it for years, and we have never had this problem befor...
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Thu 06 May, 2010 21:17

Usually, if you add a chemical, especially a chemical that makes the pH rise including pH Up (sodium carbonate) or a hypochlorite source of chlorine, and the water turns green, then this usually means there are metals in the water. First, lower the pH by adding acid. If the green lightens up, then it's metals for sure and you need to add a good metal sequestrant. See Metals in the Water and Metal Stains for more info.

It would be helpful to know exactly what chemicals you added when you say the water turned green.

If the green came on more slowly, especially if it was first dull, then cloudy and then green, then that's more likely to be algae and you'll need chlorine to kill it.
Katy

Postby Katy » Sat 08 May, 2010 09:08

Thank you, This might work... Because it is a transparent green. It looks like it would be clear. Except it's a light green. As far as i know all that he put in it was algaecide .
Katy

Postby Katy » Sat 08 May, 2010 09:27

Although, I can't see how it got metal in it. It' s an above G P.We don't even use ladder...

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”