Bright grren pool, all levels okay?

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Xclusive
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Xclusive » Thu 06 May, 2010 11:46

Pool User wrote:We have the same problem. When we opened the pool it was clear, with a little haze. We put in the chemicals and it turned a bright green. Can someone please HELP?...

Hi Pool User,

I usually defer these type of questions to chemgeek because he's an absolute pro in this area. But I have a question. When you touch the pool walls, do they feel slimy?

Katy

Postby Katy » Thu 06 May, 2010 18:35

Yes, My husband got in it today and tried to clean it. But it still hasn't changed. It did get cloudy& green.. we also vaccumed it.. We have had it for years, and we have never had this problem befor...
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Thu 06 May, 2010 21:17

Usually, if you add a chemical, especially a chemical that makes the pH rise including pH Up (sodium carbonate) or a hypochlorite source of chlorine, and the water turns green, then this usually means there are metals in the water. First, lower the pH by adding acid. If the green lightens up, then it's metals for sure and you need to add a good metal sequestrant. See Metals in the Water and Metal Stains for more info.

It would be helpful to know exactly what chemicals you added when you say the water turned green.

If the green came on more slowly, especially if it was first dull, then cloudy and then green, then that's more likely to be algae and you'll need chlorine to kill it.
Katy

Postby Katy » Sat 08 May, 2010 09:08

Thank you, This might work... Because it is a transparent green. It looks like it would be clear. Except it's a light green. As far as i know all that he put in it was algaecide .
Katy

Postby Katy » Sat 08 May, 2010 09:27

Although, I can't see how it got metal in it. It' s an above G P.We don't even use ladder...
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sat 08 May, 2010 11:54

Katy wrote:Thank you, This might work... Because it is a transparent green. It looks like it would be clear. Except it's a light green. As far as i know all that he put in it was algaecide.

Some algaecides contain copper. Look at the ingredients on the bottle to see if it mentions copper sulfate or anything else with copper. If you don't have the bottle, but remember the manufacturer and brand, then we can look up the MSDS to see what is in it. You can also have your water tested at a pool store for metals.

If you lower the pH and the water gets more clear, then it is very likely to be a metals problem, and most likely to be copper (though iron can be yellow that seen against a blue pool surface can look green).
Katy

Postby Katy » Sat 08 May, 2010 12:21

Right now my Ph is 7.6 And my chlorine is 1.0 ...
Katy

Postby Katy » Sat 08 May, 2010 12:29

The name of the chem's is Aquachem.. It doesn't say that it has copper, But it did say,, other?
I know that this could mean anything...
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sat 08 May, 2010 16:01

This MSDS for Aqua Chem Algaecide Plus (see here) says it contains 3.3% copper derived from copper sulfate pentahydrate and also contains polymeric polyacrylate and gluconate stabilizing agents.

So at least we now know where the copper came from. Your pool tech either overdosed or didn't follow the instructions and had the pH too high when this algaecide was added. I'd never use copper algaecide in a pool because there is always the risk of staining. You can lower your pool pH which should lighten it up a bit and can use a metal sequestrant to try and bind to the copper, though quite frankly longer term the only way to remove metals from the water is through water replacement (you can sometimes get lucky and get a metal sequestrant combined with a clarifier that lets you filter and backwash the metal, but that's not reliable).

So follow the instructions in the earlier link I gave on metals in the water. Also, your chlorine level is probably too low and you never mentioned the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) aka stabilizer or conditioner level which might be high and the original cause of algae that prompted your pool person to add algaecide. Welcome to the endless cycle of using pool chemicals to combat problems that could easily be avoided by simply maintaining an FC relative to CYA. Please read the Pool School if you want to learn to maintain your pool yourself at low cost and have a trouble-free pool.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”