Clear water - green sides and bottom

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
srm3008
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby srm3008 » Mon 07 Jun, 2010 08:00

This is a first for me, having had this pool for many years. When I opened the pool, the bottom and sides were green - greener than usual. I assumed that after a good shock, the green would be brushable and then filterable.

Unfortunately not. After a shock, an algaecide treatment and another shock, the water is crystal clear, but the green walls and sides still resist brushing.

The pool is 16 x 32 in-ground with a vinyl liner. The water is balanced except for the high chlorine. Any ideas?

--Steve

kim

Postby kim » Sun 20 Jun, 2010 21:42

Hope you found a solution to your problem that you might want to share. We've owned a pool for several years and have never encounted as many problems as this year. This morning water was very clear but greenish tint on the bottom, but no dirt that need to be vacuumed. Levels were good except ph was a low....so increased ph a little bit.....lots of kids swimming...by early evening very, very green. So now I shut the filter off and added algaeside. Now what? Wait for morning and vacuum? What worked for you?
srm3008
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby srm3008 » Tue 22 Jun, 2010 20:30

Luckily, I finally found someone who had a clue. Try this.

Scrub the stain hard with a chlorine tablet. If it's any kind of algae, the chlorine tablet will kill it where you scrub. Then you'll know it's algae and you'll be able to take care of it. I tried this. I scrubbed hard with a chlorine tablet and didn't even make a mark.

After the chlorine tablet fails, the assumption is some kind of metal stain. So drop some vitamin C tablets (ascorbic acid) on to a dark stained area and watch. When I did this, the stain just disappeared. 5 tablets cleared a 2' by 3' area in 10 minutes -- really.

I bought a few pounds of Stain Free (ascorbic acid) and a bottle of Metal Free, followed the directions and the problem was gone in 24 hours.

Good luck!

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”