Pool turned green after adding algaecide maintenance

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
mmn7303
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15' x 48'' metal frame Intex pool.

Postby mmn7303 » Sun 13 Jun, 2010 17:21

Hi everyone. I am new to owning a pool. I bought a 15' x 48'' metal frame pool from a retail store this summer. I bought most of my pool supplies from a pool supply store, but the chlorine and shock from the same retailer as the pool was boughten. The pool supply guy told me on a weekly basis to shock the pool, add 1/2 oz algecide and then add 3-4 tabs of 1'' chlorine. All of my levels read fine and my pool looked fine after I shocked and added the chlorine tabs, but when I added the 1/2 oz of algaecide it turned my pool green. I cannot get ahold of the pool company since it is closed now so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of what to do? Thanks.

Melissa
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 14 Jun, 2010 10:55

The algaecide probably had copper in it and the high chlorine or pH levels made it turn green. Lower the pH (which should fade the green confirming that this is metal in the water) and add a metal sequestrant.
mmn7303
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby mmn7303 » Sat 19 Jun, 2010 16:10

You were right. I added Pool Plus Pool Maintenance. It worked right away. The green away and now I have a nice sparkling blue pool. When I called the pool supply store they said to keep shocking because it was algae. After I got your suggestion I called them back and they told me what you said. Thank you so much. I would probably still be shocking. I had no idea metals in the iron mixed with chlorine would turn the pool green. I'm glad to have learned something new.
Melissa
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sat 19 Jun, 2010 18:40

In general, when it's algae the water is usually dull or cloudy in addition to green. If the water is a clear green, it's usually metals. If you add a hypochlorite source of chlorine to the water or raise the pH and it turns green, that's usually metals. If you add an algaecide containing copper or use Trichlor pucks that have copper (some HTH Trichlor pucks have copper in them) then that can cause the water to become colored and can stain pool surfaces.
jim in cg

Postby jim in cg » Wed 07 Jul, 2010 22:00

quote="mmn7303"]You were right. I added Pool Plus Pool Maintenance. It worked right away. The green away and now I have a nice sparkling blue pool. When I called the pool supply store they said to keep shocking because it was algae. After I got your suggestion I called them back and they told me what you said. Thank you so much. I would probably still be shocking. I had no idea metals in the iron mixed with chlorine would turn the pool green. I'm glad to have learned something new.[/quote]

This is exactly what I'm dealing with (green water due to too much algeacide reacting with chlorine). what was the exact name of the Pool Plus Maintenance product you used?
mmn7303
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby mmn7303 » Thu 08 Jul, 2010 13:47

The product is from the POOLIFE exclusive pool care collection. It is Pool Plus Pool Maintenance. I bought it from our local pool supply store.
Melissa
AB_Ethan

Postby AB_Ethan » Tue 13 Jul, 2010 19:25

careful! Add algaecide and chlorine on seperate days. on occasion the two added together can cause a reaction in your water turning it greeny or a pea soupy color as well!

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”