Brown spots in pool

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
tanjag
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: inground pool, 30x13 feet, fiberglass, cartridge filter.

Brown spots in pool

Postby tanjag » Sat 19 Jun, 2010 19:06

i have an inground pool and the pool was covered over the winter. some pool guy came and added a bunch of chlorine and covered the pool. after we removed the cover i started to get these spots all over the pool surfaces, i.e. walls, steps, bottom of pool. the spots are brownish in color, with a white center and then fan out , looking almost like a *spamm* burn or a comet. hard to describe. i explained the problem to a pool supply store and they told me it was algae. gave me a bunch of chemicals to treat it with and nothing happened. my chlorine levels are also very high. any suggestions how to get rid of these stains. they do not come off when scrubbed, look like they are imbedded in the fiberglass.

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Brown spots in pool

Postby chem geek » Sat 19 Jun, 2010 20:34

Sounds like Metals in the Water and Metal Stains. If lowering the pH lightens them up or if rubbing a Vitamin C tablet lightens it, then it's likely to be a metal stain.
tanjag
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: inground pool, 30x13 feet, fiberglass, cartridge filter.

Brown spots in pool

Postby tanjag » Sat 19 Jun, 2010 21:44

do you have any suggestions what to use for it?
manu

Brown spots in pool

Postby manu » Sat 07 Aug, 2010 18:12

Hi Tanjag,
Could you be so kind and write an update to this post to let us know what happened to your stains?
I was in Europe for 2 1/2 months and when I came back I found the same kind of stains all over our pool. We had some construction going on around the pool while I was away, so maybe something fell in there. But why is it on the walls as well...?
Another thing I am suspecting is, that the chemicals got out of whack. The chlorine was extremely high and the PH is really high too. I got the chlorine back to normal, but the PH is still kind of high. Could that have anything to do with those stains?
Thanks,
Manuela
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Brown spots in pool

Postby floridapooltech » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 02:05

manu wrote:Hi Tanjag,
Could you be so kind and write an update to this post to let us know what happened to your stains?
I was in Europe for 2 1/2 months and when I came back I found the same kind of stains all over our pool. We had some construction going on around the pool while I was away, so maybe something fell in there. But why is it on the walls as well...?
Another thing I am suspecting is, that the chemicals got out of whack. The chlorine was extremely high and the PH is really high too. I got the chlorine back to normal, but the PH is still kind of high. Could that have anything to do with those stains?
Thanks,
Manuela

sounds like it could be iron stains? The pH would need to be corrected though, also if pH is that bad, check your alkalinity too. pH and alkalinity levels that are too high or low are very bad as they destroy equipment, pool finishes, and lead to costly replacement and/or repairs. Regarding the stain, you may want to get a stain ID kit. This comes with several packets. Following the directions, you will place the chemical from the packet one at a time over the stain to see which one causes the stain to clear up. Whichever packet was last used (that worked) identifies what the stain is!
Marla2

Brown spots in pool

Postby Marla2 » Sun 22 Jul, 2012 11:13

This works!!!! I turned off the pool sweep and when the water was still, I threw a few vitamin C tablets into the pool and carefully moved them onto the spotted areas with the end of my pool pole. I let them set there all night. The next morning I looked and "Presto" GONE! I was amazed at how simple it was!!! I had tried everything to get those spots off! It's the only thing that worked!

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”