results

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
kaptn

results

Postby kaptn » Sat 26 Jun, 2010 15:59

drained the pool about a foot and half and refilled.

results from pool store"

FC 0
CC 0
PH 7.3
Alk 80
CYA 110

added three gallons of 6% bleach....at noontime. Checked at 4:00 and it showed about FC of 4ppm.

I was battling some algae problems. First I thought I had Mustard Algae but the when describing it to the store they said it was the CYA residue (the stuff never grew on my side walls but waslike sand on the bottom only so vacuumed to waste when I had it). Just trying to get and maintain a FC level with out using shock....
Going with the BBB method now thanks to you guys!

lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

results

Postby lbridges » Sat 26 Jun, 2010 19:37

With a CYA value over 100 your FC values should range between 7 and 12, and shock value would be around 40.

It might be best to do more on the drain/refill front to get CYA down - would make bleach (under the BBB school) more affordable. 110 is too high even for a SWG pool.

How long ago was CYA added to the pool? If it's been over a week, that's likely not CYA residue.
kaptn

results

Postby kaptn » Mon 28 Jun, 2010 07:25

I didn't add CYA...the CYA jumped up from adding Dichlor Shock granules. This is probably due from it being poured into the water without dissolving it first. Ever since I vacuumed it to waste I haven't had any issues with it (Also haven't shocked it with granules either since then...). But it sounds like it wasn't Mustard Algae because there was no growth on the walls it was only like sand on the bottom floor areas. Also, it was displaced quite a bit in the sunny section (shallow) end of the pool. I hear Mustard Algae tends to grow more in the shady side.

I haven't checked my CYA with my testing kit yet. I will have to see what my results are on this but the store was pretty much close on all of my other results in what I had. I plan on slowly doing some drain and refill over the next week.
kaptn

results

Postby kaptn » Mon 28 Jun, 2010 08:20

why would a shock level be 40? According to pool calculator it states a shock level of around 25?
lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

results

Postby lbridges » Mon 28 Jun, 2010 15:08

kaptn wrote:why would a shock level be 40? According to pool calculator it states a shock level of around 25?

I was using a value from a post by Chem Geek (Richard) found here.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

results

Postby chem geek » Tue 29 Jun, 2010 13:04

Both shock values will kill algae and clear the pool -- the higher one will do so more quickly. The Pool Calculator uses shock levels closer to Ben Powell's Best Guess CYA chart based on his experience whereas the chart I created has FC/CYA ratios that have the same level of active chlorine (hypochlorous acid).

However, as I noted in my chart, the very high FC levels needed at high CYA levels can be impractical and lower FC levels with slower results can be used though really one should dilute the water to lower the CYA level since you will likely be doing that eventually anyway.
kaptn

results

Postby kaptn » Wed 30 Jun, 2010 07:29

I plan on doing some drain and refill before this weekend. Even though I have no FC reading I am not seeing any Algae problems yet....I plan on getting my CYA down to a manageable level before I tend to shock this for a period of days to rid of this no FC problems.
kaptn

results

Postby kaptn » Wed 30 Jun, 2010 07:59

I also ordered the regeants R-0870 and R-0871 so I can do the high chlorine test kits. I already have the Taylor Kit K-2005 so it made no sense to order a new kit just for checking this.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

results

Postby chem geek » Wed 30 Jun, 2010 15:36

If you wanted the vial as well then you can order the [url=http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine-CC-s-test-p47.html]FAS-DPD chlorine test kit from TFTestkits.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”