Cleaning diamond brite

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
michaelF
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: ingoround kidney shape, diamond brite finish

Cleaning diamond brite

Postby michaelF » Thu 29 Jul, 2010 00:46

Hi all I live in South Florid and I just drained my very very green pool. It has not been running for 2 to 4 months as I had to have the tenant served with an eviction notice. So it was so bad that I had to drain it.I have one question on what is the best way to clean the diamond brite surface. It is 10 years old and it was cleaned with a pressure washer about 5 year ago by me. But some of the finish came off with the pressure washing, so what should I do?

Blazing

Cleaning diamond brite

Postby Blazing » Sat 28 Aug, 2010 16:22

First off, I would never use anything but a very low pressure (1200 psi or less) pressure washer on a pool surface. For a green pool I would use a chlorine rinse to kill all algae. You can even pick up a chlorine sprayer at most Home Depot's or Lowes stores. Use straight commercial pool bleach.

Unfortunately, if you have damaged the surface, while you can kill the algae remaining with the treatment above, it will not restore the damaged surface. I know of no viable repair or patch other than resurfacing.

If your surface still has some stains, you can do an acid wash of the surface. Please make sure that this is not done in conjunction with the chlorine rinse as Chlorine and acid produce mustard gas which is lethal. Make sure that you have completely drained the pool after teh chlorine rinse, completely rinse it, completely drain it, completely rinse it, ... and make sure that all floor heads and drains are sucked dry, rinsed, sucked dry, rinsed, ... BEFORE you do any acid washing. If you need instructions or that, ask and someone will post them for you.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”