Another Green pool

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
alank
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24ft x 42 inch deep above ground

Another Green pool

Postby alank » Wed 18 Aug, 2010 17:42

Hi folks
I have read several of the "green pool" water threads with interest as I also have this problem. I feel confident I added too many chlorine tabs with stabilizer to my 24ft round above ground pool.

My CYA is 90, Free Chlorine is 3.4, PH is 7.8 and combined chlorine tested 0? I am using a Taylor K2006 test kit.
I just tested the first time this afternoon.

I have added a 1gallon of laundry bleach to my pool the last 3 days. I also have been dumping about 2" of water nightly since Sunday.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Al

lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

Another Green pool

Postby lbridges » Wed 18 Aug, 2010 17:52

With CYA at 90, the "normal" level of chlorine is 7 to 10 ppm.

This set of tables shows the chlorine/CYA relationship
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Another Green pool

Postby floridapooltech » Thu 19 Aug, 2010 20:16

you most likely need to dump about 5 gallons of "laundry" bleach to achieve your desired FC level....or 1 jug of chlorine.
alank
I'm new here
I'm new here

Another Green pool

Postby alank » Fri 20 Aug, 2010 11:21

Thanks for the reply's. I really have learned a lot about pool water chemistry from posts of the experienced folks on this forum. I have been very lucky not to have caused this problem in the past 8 years of owning my pool. I never heard of CYA until last week reading this forum. I found a dead bat in my skimmer and the FC was very low so I overdosed the water with the chlorine + stabilizer tabs.

Anyway
I dumped about 6 inches of water from the pool yesterday and refilled. I plan to test today and have 5 Gal's of bleach to bring up the FC.

Again...thanks
Al
alank
I'm new here
I'm new here

Another Green pool

Postby alank » Mon 23 Aug, 2010 15:48

Ok I have gotten my CYA down to 80 and the FC is at 10.5. I brought the chlorine up Sunday and overnight the deep greenish tint in my water has mostly went away. It is still cloudy. I cannot see the bottom yet, however is is clearer than yesterday. My filter runs 24/7

I assume I have started to kill the algae? Should I just hope the filter running will clear it up the cloudiness? Should I add some sort of clarifier to help with clearing up whats left?

Once again any suggestions are appreciated.
A

Edited the CYA reading from 8 to 80
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Another Green pool

Postby floridapooltech » Mon 23 Aug, 2010 15:51

alank wrote:Ok I have gotten my CYA down to 8 and the FC is at 10.5. I brought the chlorine up Sunday and overnight the deep greenish tint in my water has mostly went away. It is still cloudy. I cannot see the bottom yet, however is is clearer than yesterday. My filter runs 24/7

I assume I have started to kill the algae? Should I just hope the filter running will clear it up the cloudiness? Should I add some sort of clarifier to help with clearing up whats left?

Once again any suggestions are appreciated.
Al

If the water is cloudy, a clarifier will work. Also, your CYA should be between 30-50 ppm, so you may need a small amount of stabilizer added.
alank
I'm new here
I'm new here

Another Green pool

Postby alank » Mon 23 Aug, 2010 16:12

[/quote]
If the water is cloudy, a clarifier will work. Also, your CYA should be between 30-50 ppm, so you may need a small amount of stabilizer added.[/quote]

I meant 80 on the CYA reading been a long day!
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Another Green pool

Postby floridapooltech » Mon 23 Aug, 2010 20:24

alank wrote:

If the water is cloudy, a clarifier will work. Also, your CYA should be between 30-50 ppm, so you may need a small amount of stabilizer added.[/quote]

I meant 80 on the CYA reading been a long day![/quote]

ok 80 is a little high but acceptable. hopefully a clarifier will help speed things up for you.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”