Is it rally algae

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
dalehileman

Is it rally algae

Postby dalehileman » Fri 20 Aug, 2010 14:11

Wondering whether a greenish tinge necessarily indicates live algae

For over a decade we maintained our big inground pool using only tabs and a weekly application of supermarket algi-clari which kept it clear and swimmable though slightly green

After a pump failure when it turned dark green--obviously an algae attack--we applied massive amounts of various chemicals including algicide, then replaced 2/3 of the water before resuming our usual maintenance whereupon it was again clear and inviting though still somewhat greenish

So we're speculating whether this tint might owe to some residual effect other than live algae, perhaps harmless chlorophyl

lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

Is it rally algae

Postby lbridges » Fri 20 Aug, 2010 15:13

Chlorophyll breaks down in the presence of sunlight (plants have to keep producing it to stay green, when they stop that's what makes the leaves change color).

So unless you have a continuous source of chlorophyll injecting into the pool, I would say you were teetering on a balancing point between algae outbreak and algae kill - knocking it off about as fast as it was growing.

Is it rally algae

Postby Guest » Fri 20 Aug, 2010 16:46

Bridge I think you're probably right but will a little algae likely hurt us

I had suggested bringing up the FC using bleach but my Better Half won't hear of it and so I comply because she's much smarter than I
lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

Is it rally algae

Postby lbridges » Fri 20 Aug, 2010 19:21

The course of action I recommend is to test the water with a reliable test kit and undertake appropriate efforts to ensure the physical health of anyone that uses the pool.

Hopefully the green in your case comes from something benign. But if there isn't enough chlorine to kill off the algae, there sure won't be enough to kill off Cryptosporidium and Giardia germs. Swimming in such a pool isn't smart.
duraleigh
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 24X52 DIY Concrete and liner

Is it rally algae

Postby duraleigh » Fri 20 Aug, 2010 20:27

If you let your pool go just the sightest green with algae the pool is not sanitary....period. It's not the algae that is harmful but algae growth indicates inadequate levels of chlorine to keep bacteria, germs, etc from living and multiplying in the pool.
24x52 DIY concrete block and liner
1.5HP pump 925lb sand filter
http://www.tftestkits.net
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Is it rally algae

Postby chem geek » Fri 20 Aug, 2010 21:00

Also algae can be slippery and cloudiness can obscure visibility of someone drowning in the pool. One can keep algae from growing by maintaining a Free Chlorine (FC) level appropriate to the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level as shown in this chart in the Pool School.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”