Best way to pump down my pool - Details inside

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
TAZ427
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 14,500 Gal, In Ground, Pepple Tec, Variable Speed Pump, Hayward 4 Cartridge filter...

Best way to pump down my pool - Details inside

Postby TAZ427 » Mon 06 Mar, 2017 18:26

Ok, so trying to figure out the best way to pump down my pool (pool came with the house or I'd have done some things differently)

Reasons - Drain/Refill to reduce High CYA and CH. Also heavy winter rains overflowing the pool so would like do drain a bit before it overflows during the winters rains.

Equipment - Multispeed Pump - Jandy CV460 filter - 3 Returns (Pool Return, Cleaner and Waterfall) - Solar Heater - No drain line to sewer

Both pool drains (2 of them) and skimmer are tied to a single input to the pump (single pipe comes up through the concrete.) No valve or even a separate line to put a valve in, to switch off the skimmer.

So I'm looking for advice on how to drain it w/o damaging my equipment and the least expensive way possible.

Is there a hose, I can adapt the the Jandy CV460 drain cap and run it down the side of the lawn to the sewer line? Google not being my friend on this one.

Can I somehow cap the skimmer so I can get the water level bellow that point and use my Multispeed pump to do the work.

Or will I need to buy/rent a separate pump to pump it down?

I'd also like to be able to pump it down in the winter when I get enough rain that it overflows the pool. It happened several times this year. The water drains down to below isolation barrier between the concrete decking and the pool tile. I'm not sure how much undermining of the deck this is doing over time. Even though we're mostly on granite bedrock, it still doesn't make me comfortable doing it long term.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Best way to pump down my pool - Details inside

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 07 Mar, 2017 02:54

Your suggestion of blocking the skimmer and letting the main drain pump to waste is OK (it's strange that you can't regulate the flow from the skimmer and main drains because one might have precedence over the others)
What I have done before is connect a vacuum hose to the skimmer weight it down but run water into the skimmer from a hose because once the level gets below the skimmer it will suck in air as well and you will lose prime
Of course a sump pump would be easier
TAZ427
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 14,500 Gal, In Ground, Pepple Tec, Variable Speed Pump, Hayward 4 Cartridge filter...

Postby TAZ427 » Tue 07 Mar, 2017 13:59

At work, and can't resize and upload the photos, so I'm sharing photo's of the equipment. https://goo.gl/photos/esaaec85bZAKMKoR8 So you can see it's as described ;-) Yeah, I would have had the installer tie the skimmer and drains together above ground and put in valves to be able to regulate, but the pool was put in a few years before I bought the house.

Looking around and I'm thinking about just going with something like the ECO FLO 1/4 HP sump SUP55. Don't know as I believe their claimed GPH rates of 1800 w/ 5 of head, but I'd be happy to get 1/2 that w/ a 1-1/2 hose, and I could simply route that down on of the deck drains.
Glen123
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 1 yard, brick type, white surface, quality pump and filter.

Postby Glen123 » Thu 31 May, 2018 02:00

Informative post. I visited the link and saw the equipment, like your job. Keep up your good job.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”