COVERSTAR pool cover

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
water-H2O
I'm new here
I'm new here

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby water-H2O » Thu 02 Jan, 2014 22:31

It looks like automatic pool covers maybe too much trouble with ropes and cables, etc. However, I came across a company that sells automatic pool covers without strings or ropes and uses no rails. It looks interesting and the cost is much lower than the standard automatic covers on the market like Coverstar. Also it comes with a thermal blanket that does not let light into the pool to prevent algae growth.
I think this is perfect for our planned oasis. It’s called an Auto Pool Reel from http://www.autopoolreel.com Does any know of a similar product on the market in the same price range to compare?

looking

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby looking » Thu 29 May, 2014 15:17

Autopoolreel looks like just a thermal cover, not a safety cover. If you step on it, you're going in.
srholt123
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 45x25 infinity edge

Re: COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby srholt123 » Thu 25 Feb, 2016 22:36

We have had a coverstar on 25x 45 infinity edge pool for the last 4 years. And it has not worked for more than 90days in the 4 years. The ropes break, the guild pullies have bent upward on the far end. The wheel assembilly have bent. The last bill was over 1300 to fix. I had a mother contractor come out today from cover pool. He said the contractor should have never put a auto cover on a pool this size. Thank you Mike from carefree pools in San Luis Obispo. He is a rip off! If anyone may have a solution to thi problem please contact me:
Pedpool

Postby Pedpool » Thu 17 Nov, 2016 14:10

We are having an issue with the brackets the Coverstar dealer used when installing the cover. These brackets support the stones that conceal the cover well. They are metal coated with Line-X. The Coverstar technician told me these do not hold up to wet conditions and they are disintegrating like dry leaves. To replace the brackets will be about $2,000. The dealer who installed the cover sold his business to another Coverstar dealer who is not able to help. (Well, unless I want to pay them $2,000 to replace the faulty brackets.) My understanding is these brackets were manufactured by Latham. Has anyone else encountered this problem or have a less expensive solution?
justus3

Postby justus3 » Wed 17 May, 2017 09:51

On our 2011 pool cover this is our 3rd time replacing ropes, 2015, 2016 and now they are broke again! To save hundreds of dollars just bought ropes and pullys from our pool company who installed the pool my husband is doing all the work. This high bill is a yearly charge is what I am finding out, arg! If there were do overs I would choose a different company!
LADYDI

Postby LADYDI » Thu 15 Jun, 2017 19:04

My husband replaced my rope(2nd time broke) and figured out that it may take 2 people to install. The rope tends to twist and then frays as it is going back and forth; rodents aren't chewing it.
My automatic pool cover has tears . Does anyone have a good recommendation for patches. This is the 2nd Cover Star cover I have installed.
Princessr
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 54 x 16

Postby Princessr » Mon 25 Sep, 2017 23:05

Will an automatic safety cover reduce humidity and save energy in door pool or does it have to be a solar cover?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 01:48

Any cover will reduce the humidity and heat
For an indoor pool you would need a solid cover as you don't have any solar gain
Steve R

Postby Steve R » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 13:20

I had a CoverStar installed 2 years ago. Though the initial purchase and install was fast, since then everything has been slow and miserable. You will wait months for service, the customer service is horrible. They don't return calls and whenever you are lucky enough to talk to someone they are quick to let you know that everything is your fault, not theirs.
Lots of automatic covers on the market now for much less than CoverStar and with better reviews. As far as the "ropes" used in CoverStar covers, they are well aware that the ropes are weak and need to be replaced regularly....... that is their hook. They know they are going to get $800 a year from customers in just replacing ropes.
I strongly encourage anyone considering a CoverStar pool cover to look elsewhere. It is a large investment with even bigger headaches!
Cesolar
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Ulrich Pool

Postby Cesolar » Wed 04 Jul, 2018 07:14

There are really 3 standard types of pool safety covers: standard mesh, high shade mesh, and solid

STANDARD MESH:

Pro - The standard cover will be the most economical

Con - The high amount of light that makes its way into the water column turns the water green with algae in the spring

HIGH SHADE MESH:

Pro - provides substantial shade to nearly eliminate algae growth in the spring AND is light weight

Con - a little pricey

SOLID:

Pro - The solid cover will completely block any light from entering the water column; therefore, the water should be crystal clear upon opening in the spring

Con - a solid cover is much heavier than a standard mesh or high shade mesh

All pool covers are required by code to hold the weight of a typical 4 person family in a small area (I think it's a 9 square feet). Anyway, most of them can support the weight of a car (and have) without failing. When shopping for a cover you should be most concerned with with the quality of materials. Before you commit to a cover, ask the manufacturer (not the dealer) a few questions:

1) "Do you use cotton or polyester fillers in your webbing?" The webbing is the black straps that are sewn to the cover and attach to the pool deck. Fillers will reduce the life of the cover.

2) "What country does your hardware come from?" The hardware includes the springs, buckles, anchors, etc. From my understanding and experience US metal is higher quality than metal from India, China, etc. Also, in these tough times, I'd rather my money stay local (but that's just an opinion)

Bought from Amazon https://thehomedweller.com/best-pool-covers/ in November last year. Have not had to top up the pool since.
Bought the storage roller which cost about the same as the cover.
The only downside to the cover is keeping it clean. It really looks scruffy after a while with the dust and leaves that collect on it and the only way to get it clean is with a hosepipe which negates the reason for getting it in the first place. Also if it is fitted to a salt water pool any water that does get onto the top of the cover evaporates leaving a white residue.
Have cut down significantly the time that the filter runs
BMoreE
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby BMoreE » Tue 14 May, 2019 08:51

Hi all, I feel almost guilty posting this - my Coverstar has lasted 10+ years so far. We winterize (Baltimore, MD) with it retracted, and self-maintain. Sun is probably the culprit for most damage I'm guessing, since the trees around us provide cover after ~4pm in the summertime.

Anyway - I've finally hit something that is stumping me. The clutch that controls the spools seems fine (I can remove/clean it, and it turns the spools OK) but something is preventing the actual rod that retracts the cover from turning. So - I'm stuck "closed"

Does anyone know what brake/clutch controls the rod? The online manuals are no help - they don't quite match mine. I can physically turn the rod with a pipe wrench, so it's not stuck on anything. I just don't see why the motor doesn't engage it!
mkalmas
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Pool cover service in central Indiana

Postby mkalmas » Mon 28 Jun, 2021 21:41

CoverGuyIndy wrote:If you own an automatic pool cover, you are already aware of the need for regular maintenance. My small company has over 15 yrs of experience installing and repairing pool covers.

Some of our most common calls for repairs are:
Broken ropes, wheels/sliders.
Motors and key switches including hydraulic units.
Misalignment or cover system needs adjusted.
Cover cleaning and annual preventive maintenance.

We also install factory replacement covers that are ASTM certified.

Above all else we CAN save you money today. Other companies charge over $400 just to pull into your driveway, without ever performing a single repair. And sometime take 2-3 weeks or longer just to get you on their schedule. We can typically get your system repaired in 48hrs or less. We are a local company and can provide service to Indianapolis and surrounding areas.

We also never require a credit card just to schedule a service appointment. Our typical service call costs 1/2 what other companies charge. All of our service is backed up with a 1 year workmanship warranty. If you are not happy with the services we provide, you do not have to pay. No questions asked. That's how confident I am that we can provide a solution to companies just wanting to keep leeching their customers. We are licensed and insured.

What is your email or phone number?
mkalmas
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby mkalmas » Tue 29 Jun, 2021 07:25

AutoCoverGuru wrote:Sorry to hear of your pool cover troubles, many of these comments I've heard before. I've been working with Automatic Pool covers for almost 7 years now, and I've seen quite alot of situations, and repaired different cover systems, and definitely can relate to your situation.

I can supply ropes and service for considerably less than coverstar's pricing.

Please contact if interested

What is your contact information? Have an APC that is askew when closing. Thanks
revbush@gmail.com
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby revbush@gmail.com » Wed 28 Jul, 2021 21:24

I need to replace Coverstar ropes. How do I order them.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”