Hayward Super II pump housing failure

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Mon 07 Oct, 2013 08:42

I was curious if anyone is seeing this as much as I am lately.

This is the 4th housing failure I have come across in the last 3 months. At first glance it looks like a bad housing gasket, but even after replacing the seal the pump still leaks where the housing and seal plate comes together, right behind the MA. I don't see any cracks in the housing, my best guess is the actual seam of the housing is the source of the failure. Once the system pressures up you get a steady stream coming out of there. I tried filling the top cavity of the housing with some AB putty and that lasted for a few weeks but the leak came back.

What could be causing so may housing failures? It could just be a coincidence but I haven'tcome across this before and to see so many lately just struck me as odd.

-CG
Attachments
Super2pump1.jpg
Super2pump1.jpg (76.1 KiB) Viewed 19953 times

TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Wed 09 Oct, 2013 01:23

Well doc, if the housing itself is not 'true' and flat by so much as a few thousandths of an inch, this would cause problems as shown. My first guess is if these Hayward housings are coming out of the plant defective, then Hayward has a defective factory mold. What of the odds of Hayward coughing up to that? :roll: That's just a guess if you say these types of leaks are becoming somewhat common. My company hasn't come across any Super II repairs like this, but I will keep my eyes open now that you bring it up.

If this is looking like a trend, I'd call the area Hayward rep first, let him know what you're finding out there and see what he says.

A repair like this is a little tricky, because that gasket is under constant pressure when the pump is on. I'd like to throw this out if I were in your shoes; I'd take the gasket apart again, dry everything up, apply some of that heavy duty silicone by BOSS, and apply a fairly good coat on the side of the gasket that faces the housing leak, and on the housing itself. Put the housing together, tighten it up and let it cure overnight. Then in the morning come back and switch the pump on and see if that holds.
This would be my last ditch effort to try and save the repair and if for some reason it doesn't hold, then go from there to make the customer happy.
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Wed 09 Oct, 2013 15:34

TSH Tech,

Thanks for the reply, and your input! This is not occurring on new pumps, but older ones. At first I thought it was due to overheating because the first couple of times I was replacing a dead motor. I had a few more where the motors were in good shape, but the housing had failed.

I have 2 defective housings in my shop, I'm going to take your advice on the BOSS silicone and experiment with them as time allows and see if I can figure out how to fix it without swapping out the housing. I've been keeping a spare housing in my inventory now just so I am covered if I come across another one. Of course now that I shelled out 160 bucks for a spare housing I won't see this leak again!

Thanks,
-CG
xjjg75a

Postby xjjg75a » Wed 26 Nov, 2014 09:45

The most likely cause for a SuperPump II leaking at the ribbon gasket is that one or more of the 6 housing bolts have been over tightened some time in the past, This will pull the threaded brass inserts loose from the main housing, Once an insert begins to protrude the mating pump parts are no longer flush, and the thin ribbon gasket at the housing cannot keep the water inside the pump.

Hayward sells replacement brass inserts but we have not had any success with those replacements.

An alternative concept is to remove a little material around the bolt hole on the seal plate to allow it to be seated flush on the pump housing.

But, ultimately, expect to replace the pump/strainer housing with its new factory-installed brass inserts.
Shakeyourbrakes

Re: Hayward Super II pump housing failure

Postby Shakeyourbrakes » Mon 25 Jul, 2016 18:40

Hey, so I came across this post looking for help with my popped out brass inserts on my super II pump. This is my third housing and I'm tired of having to replace the whole strainer assembly because they made this thing with crappy inserts. Hopefully this helps someone in the future.. Ignore the above advise to simply replace it.

Go to your local lowes and buy Brass threaded inserts, or order a pack of 25 on Amazon. You need size 3/8x 16 for the bolts that the pump uses already. Pick up new bolts while your at it as well if you want. Do whatever you need to do to remove the old brass pressed in inserts, or if it's like mine, they're all loose and spinning anyway.
Heat the new brass screw in type, threaded inserts with a torch or I used a heat gun. If you want to, use the bolt method (bolt with a nut on it to prevent the bolt from screwing into the insert). Screw the new threaded insert, red hot, into the housing until it's flush.
Spray with some water to cool each one.
Use some of the Right Stuff gasket maker where the rubber seal hits the motor assembly, no need to wait at all, bolt it together.
Bolt it up snug but not over tight, enjoy the cheap fix.

I can't believe by the way that there are repair "kits" online that sells one of these $2 brass insets with a bolt for $24..
Anyway. Worked amazing for me, not a leak 6 months later.
Shakeyourbrakes

Postby Shakeyourbrakes » Mon 25 Jul, 2016 18:45

EZ-LOC threaded inserts 3/8 x 16, pack of 25 on Amazon prime for $4.60.

Each insert is dug into the plastic with 8 full threads, it won't go anywhere. All I can think that can go wrong is if your strainer housing is old and brittle, it may crack. I doubt it though
wgoggan

Postby wgoggan » Mon 02 Oct, 2017 09:36

Thanks a lot for the fix to use the brass treaded inserts! The top 2 came loose when I was on vacation and water was squirting out the top 5 feet high and the pump had to be turned off. Found your fix when I got home and it worked like a charm. I heated my inserts on a barbecue grill and they went right in! I really appreciate it! I was about to try JB Weld and I doubt that fix would have held plus I would have to wait overnight to even find out. Your fix was instantly usable and so was able to swim all weekend :D
jksyn2021

Postby jksyn2021 » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 20:27

Thanks for the fix. Also used your suggested EZ-Loc insert repair procedure for my housing which experienced popped-out inserts. However, still experiencing a leak between the seal plate and housing and was therefore wondering about your wording

Use some of the Right Stuff gasket maker where the rubber seal hits the motor assembly, no need to wait at all, bolt it together.

Did you really mean motor assembly or where you referring to where the housing ribbon gasket hits the seal plate?

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”