hairline cracks in hayward de filter manifold

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
johninlancaster

hairline cracks in hayward de filter manifold

Postby johninlancaster » Sat 14 Jul, 2018 23:56

Had an "oops" moment. The filter pack was being assembled, and there was a "pop". Hairline crack is around the bottom side of the hole where the rod passes through. Can I fiberglass this area for strength and possible leakage through crack?

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: hairline cracks in hayward de filter manifold

Postby Teapot » Sun 15 Jul, 2018 02:09

No, not possible, new manifold required.
johninlancaster
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: A hole in ground that eats money, and gives me grief. Just finished removing algae as thick as lettuce leaves.

Postby johninlancaster » Tue 17 Jul, 2018 22:45

Came up with a fix:
When using a cleaner with acetone, I discovered it melts the plastic. Used this to my advantage by pushing on the round boss where the bolt passes through. Melted plastic oozed from the cracks. I let that dry. I used a dremel and ground a groove in the areas of the cracks. These I filled by plastic welding using a soldering gun to melt zip ties and "fillet" the neck of the round boss. I covered the area with a 2 part epoxy. Pressure checked for leaks with a shop vac, and soapy water. No leaks. I made a top brace from aluminum extrusion and drilled a hole in it for the bolt to pass through. This will spread compression loads as the assembly is bolted together.

Have not seen any DE in the water, and the creepy crawler runs great.
Attachments
brace.docx
(329.21 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Tue 17 Jul, 2018 23:20

The aluminium will corrode very quickly in chlorinated water
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 19 Jul, 2018 03:28

When something cracks and is repaired it will only fail again maybe more disasterous when you least expect it
Use the temporary repair as a stop gap until you can expedite a proper repair/replacement

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”