Pumping water off of a winter pool cover

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
Steve0514
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15 foot Round above ground swimming pool. 17 yrs. Old. Earth Filter and Haywood Pump

Pumping water off of a winter pool cover

Postby Steve0514 » Tue 19 Mar, 2019 17:22

Hello Folks,
My name is Steve and Im the owner of an above ground 15 foot round swimming pool here in New York City. I've owned this pool for about 17 and I've run into a very perplexing problem. After covering my pool this fall and the rain water started to pool up on top of the cover, I began to pump it off. I noticed that the pool water level went down though. After more rain fell I pumped more off. I let it go for a while and there was at least a foot of water on top of the cover. I'm not sure that we got a foot of rain this fall up to that point so I started to believe that the cover was actually sinking into the pool. Every time I pumped water off, the pool water level went down,....a lot. After filling the pool with a garden hose in late November and experiencing the same thing over and over since September where I pump water off only to have to fill the pool again, I thought I had a liner leak. I cut the cover off, let all the young gook in and figured I was going to have to get a new liner anyway so no big deal.........the only thing is. The liner wasn't leaking. I have as much water in my pool now as when I closed it. So How did this happen. It's happening at my mother in-laws pool this year as well. Did Staten Island get a bastard group of covers that are faulty.

Literally. Its like the pool cover allows water from inside the pool to pass upwards appearing to be collecting rain water but not really. Not that much. I don't remember what the manufacturers name is. The covers were cheap...$50 for mine. Prolly like $65 for hers. It is a much bigger oval pool.

Has anyone else experienced this before. There was an old thread on Google from 'swimming pool help forums'.

thanks all for listening.

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Pumping water off of a winter pool cover

Postby Teapot » Wed 20 Mar, 2019 16:13

Get a pool air pillow and put that under the cover
Steve0514
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15 foot Round above ground swimming pool. 17 yrs. Old. Earth Filter and Haywood Pump

Re: Pumping water off of a winter pool cover

Postby Steve0514 » Sat 23 Mar, 2019 06:54

Thanks for the response Teapot. Thats a good idea. I was hoping to find out from others if they have had the same problem. I have had pools my whole life and this is the first time this has happened to me. And It is currently happening to my Mother In-law. Its crazy.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”