Help request on how to remove broken Zodiac G9 1-1/2-Inch NPTF by 3/4-Inch NPTM Coupling Replacement from pool wall

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
sgpsf
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20,000 gallon.

Help request on how to remove broken Zodiac G9 1-1/2-Inch NPTF by 3/4-Inch NPTM Coupling Replacement from pool wall

Postby sgpsf » Wed 14 Oct, 2020 23:16

Hi,

It looks like someone basically stepped on my Zodiac G9 1-1/2-Inch NPTF by 3/4-Inch NPTM Coupling that was attached to the pool wall that connected to my pool sweep in that the couple broke off and left the threads in the pool wall. However, I cannot get the threads to unscrew from the wall. I have used pliers to try to unscrew it, I have used internal pipe wrenches that simply grind away at the pvc and I even started using a hacksaw blade to try to cut through just the coupling thread in hopes that I could break a section off to get the rest of the threaded portion to loosen, but it is not budging.
I did not install the coupling and assume it was simply threaded on and is not stuck from being there over many years, but it almost feels like it was glued in there.

I want to know if anyone else has dealt with this and might have any insight.

To clarify this is the coupling that broke off and is stuck:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004V ... UTF8&psc=1

I don't have a photo but when viewing the coupling, just picture that the threaded portion now is in the wall while the coupling itself is no longer attached (note: I am not trying to remove the wall fitting part [Zodiac 6-500-00 Universal Wall Fitting Replacement]).

At this point, I feel like I need to just continue sawing through and try to break it apart however I can to get down to the bare pipe and if that is the case, then I have seen the Zodiac 9-100-8003 1-1/2-Inch Stub Pipe Connection Replacement Kit and assume I could install that (though it looks like this sticks out quit a bit from the pool wall).

Any thoughts/suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Help request on how to remove broken Zodiac G9 1-1/2-Inch NPTF by 3/4-Inch NPTM Coupling Replacement from pool wall

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 15 Oct, 2020 03:20

You really need something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5pc-Screw-Stud-Extractor-Set-Sizes-3mm-to-19mm-1-8-3-4-Inch-Freepost-/231903799951
It has an opposite thread and is normally used to remove broken studs. The normal way is to drill the stud and screw it in but you already have the hole
You need to make sure you have one large enough
The only other alternative would be to glue some pipe in and use it to turn out the broken piece

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”