Pool equipment

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
Ti3155
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 14x36

Pool equipment

Postby Ti3155 » Mon 22 Feb, 2021 02:12

Hello , I found this forum and I found few solutions but now uts little bit different.

So im in process of building a pool , I fired my "contractor" because I found too many imperfections and cut too many corners to save money , he draw 80% of the money and I dont think he want to finish it SMH and honestly with the way it looks I dont want him to finish it.

So to the questions.

I purchased pool equipment.
My pool is with connected raised spa , not built in the pool so its has Speedway to the pool.

I purchased Pump , filter. Salt cell, actuator , lights etc...

I'd like to get your advice so maybe I can get some rest at least on the equipment.

Pump
So , the PB installed all the pipes using 1.5" , drain , skimmer , returns , vaccume line is the only 2" pipe around the pool.
I purchased single speed 1.5HP pantair pump 240v the problem is I have some water features and I'd like to know if that would be enough to run everything through one single speed pump and I want to know ifvi need another pump to operate the water features so ill explain.

I want to, to install 4 smart switch so I can control and setup timer through my phone.

I'm not even sure if I need 4 but lets see what you guys saying.

So I have pool and spillway spa @ 15k apx water volume
I have a waterfall
I have 3 bubblers
I have 6 lights , x3 bubblers , x2 pool, x1 spa
Id like to know what do I need and how many actuators I need to install and if I need a seperate pump to run the pool and seperate pump to run the water features, id like to have the water features seperate because as my understanding the spillway will stop when I'm using heater for the spa so im not sure how its really works .

So id like to control all the lights under 1switch its not a problem .

Now the lights I purchased are hayward 320 , I will install one at the spa , x3 in bubblers and now is the dilemma.

My PD installed 1.5" pipe for the 1 light at the pool , im not sure if that would be enough since he dud it 18" I think and not as directed 9" under the water line , also is the 320 can cover the entire pool ? I dont want it to be too bright or too dark , my pool is 14x28 plus tanning ledge 14x10 but its has 3 bubblers with light on it plus the light in the spa , should I drill a hole NOW and install another light on the other side of the pool at the shallow end facing the deep end ?
I cant install on the deep end because we already poured the deck on that side so its impossible.

Can someone help me here please ?
I'm looking my mind over that I can still return the equipment for an exchange.

Also , the filter i bought is pentair sand 24" with 6 way port (not sure what's that good for lol) its something with new tech , super clean etc... I think it's TA60 or so .
Is that good enough ?

Leave the bran now I know Janey is great but I can't afford it , If this equipment is enough ill keep it if not I can replace it ,

So .
1. Do I nedd another pump for Water features?
2. If I need , should I go with bigger or VS pump ? (i have 1.5" pipes remember)
3. Is one hayward 320 light installed 18" under water level will be good enough or i need to install another one ?
Is the 24" pantair filter will work Good enough or need to get bigger one?

I really appreciate your attention, im losing my mind. My pool builder doesn't know what he's doing lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Re: Pool equipment

Postby dynamictiger » Fri 05 Mar, 2021 18:35

I think I may be able to help here. I think the best approach is to draw a bit of a mudmap on the plumbing lay out identifying the lines as currently installed. Its not so much I need the measurements etc more the order of the lines and an idea of how they have been laid out.

Before I math model this, I would also need the pool and spa volume and a general idea of what is envisaged. What does the finished thing look like? are all the features going at once or are only some of them going etc. Be as precise as possible as these decisions once made are difficult to change.
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby dynamictiger » Fri 05 Mar, 2021 18:46

Sorry just saw the measurements in the signature assuming a depth of 4 feet I calculate this to be about 9200 imperial gallons or 11,000 US gallons or for us metric folks about 40,000 litres.

1.5 inch pipe is 40mm. Whilst a little smaller than is commonly installed today, this pipe is what was installed for the first 20 years of my working life on this size pool so should be fine.

Generally in a domestic pool I would aim for a turnover rate of about 4 hours. This is 10,000 litres per hour which becomes 166 litres per minute. In US gallons this is about 44 gallons a minute.

Sorry i work in metric so have to work out and then convert everything.

For a sand filter the typical design point would be 45000 litres per hour per square metre. Any faster can be done however math would reveal breakthrough prior to backwash, slower is better. Based on the turnover of 10,000 litres per hour this calculates to a minimum sand filter area of 0.222 square metres or 2.4 square feet. TA 60D has a filter area of 3.1 square feet so that is a good match.

What is the width of the waterfall? Is this a rock fall thing with a trickle type effect or a cliff dropping straight into the pool or...?
Ti3155
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 14x36

Postby Ti3155 » Fri 05 Mar, 2021 19:56

Thank you very much .
The waterfall is 36" with 6" lip its not solid rock its a wall cover with stones around it .

In general I would like seperate pumps , 1 for pool/spa , 1 for the water features.
That was my general question thanks
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby dynamictiger » Sat 06 Mar, 2021 04:18

The flow rate required to achieve a decent look over the waterfall is about 1200 US Gallons per hour. This could be done by a pond style pump. Some are available that can be installed out of the water.

Please be aware Waterfalls are a bit...odd. Increase the water flow over the fall by 3 or more times and it is unlikely to make any significant difference to the casual observer. This is a trap one of my colleagues ran into years ago when a flow 'vanished' as the flow had diverted to an existing waterfall and was hidden.

My preference would be to have a separate pump. Practically most people I see in the US tend to install automated valves such as Jandy instead to send water to the fall. Either is okay.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”