Freeze Guard Advice

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
flyboy
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground type approx. 20,000 gallons with Hayward pump and Hayward pool sweep.

Freeze Guard Advice

Postby flyboy » Tue 23 Nov, 2021 15:34

Hello everyone first time posting,

I bought my current house located in the Dallas Ft. Worth Texas area in 2020, with an inground pool in the backyard. I know practically nothing about the pool system and have had three different pool companies maintain it since I bought the house. All the pool equipment is located in a shed near the deep end of the pool. The Hayward pump has a built in freeze guard that is set to 36 degrees Fahrenheit. My current pool maintenance company technician tells me that I need a freeze guard mounted outside of the shed to protect from freezing.

Luckily, last winter the pool survived without any damage the big Valentine's Day freeze where the temperature went as low as -7 degrees Fahrenheit. Unfortunately, we only had electrical power for a couple of hours daily during the four days it was below freezing. Other than breaking up the ice on the surface there was nothing else that we could do. The pump, filter and all the plumbing survived the freeze and worked fine all summer. Did we just get lucky last winter? Do I need another freeze guard outside the shed to protect the system during this winter?

Thanks in Advance

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Freeze Guard Advice

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 24 Nov, 2021 02:35

The freeze guard inside the shed only protects from freezing within the shed an outside one would be better to protect the outside pipes
After a fright like last year wouldn't it be sensible to winterise which your pool company should be able to do
flyboy
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground type approx. 20,000 gallons with Hayward pump and Hayward pool sweep.

Postby flyboy » Wed 24 Nov, 2021 08:42

Thanks for your reply. You are correct, however all of the pipes are in the shed and go under the ground to the pool. As long as I have electricity the pump will run and circulate the water. Last year’s arctic outbreak was an unusual event and it was losing the power that was the problem.

Obviously, an outside freeze guard would turn the pump on at a lower temperature than in the shed.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 25 Nov, 2021 02:31

So long as you have electricity as you didn't last year!
flyboy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby flyboy » Sat 27 Nov, 2021 16:34

So, your saying that I don’t need a separate freeze guard outside of the shed. Is that correct?

Thanks

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”