Pentair Minimax Heater Issue

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
bdejulius
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15000 gallon in-ground liner pool, 16x32 Grecian

Pentair Minimax Heater Issue

Postby bdejulius » Sat 16 May, 2020 08:50

Hello. I have a Pentair Minimax 250CH pool heater. When the heater is running, it works great, but I am having a bit of trouble with turning it on and off.

The pilot lights and stay lit. The heater intermittently goes on/off with the switch, but more often than not, I have to "jump start it" by using a separate wire to connect the "TH" and "TH-PP" connections (see attached picture) just for the time it takes to turn on, then I would take the wire away and it would stay on. This would typically work just fine, and often the switch would start working after I did this in the beginning of the season and let it run for a bit. If not, I would just repeat this to run it again.

Now, however, when I do this, the heater only stays on as long as the wire is there. As soon as I take it away, the heater turns off right away.

I hate to replace the heater because it heats so well, but it is obviously not so useful when I can't easily turn it on and off. I have replaced the thermostat and switch recently. Any ideas what is causing this issue? I was considering replacing the gas valve, but not sure if it is worth investing this kind of money in this heater.

Thanks so much to anyone who can help!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pentair Minimax Heater Issue

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 17 May, 2020 02:35

I wouldn't replace the gas valve or heater because it works when the wire is connected and is probably a small component which has failed
Their must be some thing like a pump overrun switch which keeps the pump running after the heater has switched off to dissipate the heat
I'm not saying that is your problem but you must have some thing similar to make sure water is running through the heater before it fires up
Gonzogreg
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: whisperflow 2hp pump and pentair minimax nt heater

Postby Gonzogreg » Tue 29 Dec, 2020 15:39

Ive got an issue with my Pentair Minimax NT. When pump turns on blower on the heater starts running constantly. Blower doesnt shut off when jandy controller isnt showing heat
hoster12
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 2500 gal pool wih minimax nt heater

Postby hoster12 » Sun 16 Jan, 2022 21:25

Hey, i have a similar problem. For whatever reason I cannot see your picture, can you send me the picture or repost it with the picture, please?

connect the "TH" and "TH-PP" connections (see attached picture)

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”