Pump won't pump

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
Bunkedbed
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 4ft deep, 18ft diameter circular above-ground with pump and sand filter.

Pump won't pump

Postby Bunkedbed » Tue 21 Jun, 2022 18:28

Hey, I'm hoping you kind souls can help me out with an issue I've been trying to tackle for a while now - opening the pool.

My setup is an 18ft diameter by 4ft deep above-ground pool with a 1 HP pump and large sand filter. The equipment came with the house but I suspect it's oversized. It was working fine when I got the place in October. The only 'major' change I made was swapping a leaking 5-way valve on the sand filter and cutting out a softener-type setup (had a rig with buttons and a piece of pipe with a chamber but it had not been used recently)

My issue right now is that the pump will no longer run, it just buzzes when plugged in. I had just added some sand to the filter (long story - basically had extra sand from trying to downsize the equipment). And it was working fine with lots of pressure but after 30min the cord had melted one side of my extension cord and the motor was very hot so I unplugged it. It doesn't seem to be seized as I can spin from the back end.

Any suggestions for getting it running again and what might have caused it?

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Pump won't pump

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 22 Jun, 2022 01:38

The first thing I would suggest is seeing where your nearest motor rewind shop is so they can test it. It could be as simple as a failed start run capacitor ( condenser) a cheap part that is easily replaced. But if if sat trying to run and got hot it could have damaged (overheated ) the windings and caused an internal short.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Bunkedbed
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 4ft deep, 18ft diameter circular above-ground with pump and sand filter.

Postby Bunkedbed » Wed 22 Jun, 2022 18:55

Thanks for the reply and suggestions,

When I last turned it off, the pump was running seemingly fine with high jet pressure. I checked the capacitor and I’m getting a steady 8.4 ohms. Is it safe to say it needs to be replaced?

Also, if I can get it running, how could I prevent it from burning out the capacitor again?
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 23 Jun, 2022 03:30

I see your biggest issue is the pump being 1hp for such a small pool, it is just not necessary. It will be straining the motor, costing you a lot in electricity and achieves less in terms of filtration. Buy a speed controller,
Add a flow meter wind filtration speed down. You only need the power for backwashing.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Bunkedbed
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Bunkedbed » Thu 23 Jun, 2022 16:10

Ah gotcha. For my own knowledge, is the strain due to the sand filter, plumbing, or something else?

If I were to continue with this pump, what speed controller/flow meter would you recommend as an economic option? I tried to look for one but having some trouble.

On the other hand, if I were to pickup a new pump - what size pump would fit my pool better? (1-1/2" plumbing)
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 23 Jun, 2022 17:08

I dont know whats available to you in your area but try googling cleverpool speed controller or a single phase VFD should give you some pointers. Should save the money in a season. FlowViz are very easy to mount flow gauges.
A 1/2 hp would do but on filtration you really dont need much. My pool is 0.08hp in filtration, around 60w on a 12000 gallon pool, whereas you are 1200 w?

https://www.poolwarehouse.uk.com/index. ... gK0CPD_BwE
Bunkedbed
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Bunkedbed » Tue 28 Jun, 2022 18:50

In Canada I'm having trouble finding that one. I found some single phase VFDs on amazon but I'm really not finding much otherwise, maybe not looking in the right places. Nothing I found seems to resemble the cleverpool product either. I may just bite the bullet and size down the pump to 1/2 HP.

Still not sure how it all of a sudden burned out the first time I ran it, the previous owner had used it at least a whole season without issues. I'm still thinking there could be an issue with the sand filter. Can sand filters be "overfilled" to the point of causing the pump to work extra, or maybe the replacement valve is causing it to overwork?
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 29 Jun, 2022 01:29

The clever pool is a look on its own compared to the usual VFD. Have you looked at ABB or Invertek?
Yes sand filters can be overfilled, whilst they need a good bed depth for filtration there also needs sufficient freeboard for sand bed expansion during backwash. This often means excess sand is discharged during backwash which can clog the multiport valve.
Bunkedbed
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Bunkedbed » Wed 06 Jul, 2022 18:48

So good news is that a new capacitor got the pump running, thanks again. However it's still getting really hot even after removing sand from the filter.
I've been looking for a VFD and found one that might work for me, it's single phase 110V but could you please let me know if this one would work for me? Also, should I make an enclosure for the motor and VFD to keep water off them?
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 06 Jul, 2022 23:38

Sadly that one wont be any good as its single phase in but 3 phase out and too small on the power rating (.75kw)
Rather than enclosing the motor which would cause more heat issues a splash guard would be better.
Glad your motor is running again. Keep looking for Single phase to single phase VFD around 1.5kw.
Bunkedbed
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Bunkedbed » Thu 07 Jul, 2022 08:30

Ok gotcha, Does the VFD voltage have to match the outlet that the motor is plugged into?
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 07 Jul, 2022 11:26

Yes, if you are on 110v then that in and out if you are on 220-240 then that in and out.
Bunkedbed
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Bunkedbed » Mon 11 Jul, 2022 17:54

To narrow down the issue I disconnected the sand filter and have the pump going directly into the pool now. It has a lot of pressure at the jet but the motor is still getting really hot and the pump cord end smells like it’s burning.

Now my question is, could the outlet wiring or pump wire gauge be an issue here? When we moved-in the outlet had one receptacle melted already but the pump seemed to run fine without melting the cord at the pump end.

Still looking for a VFD but just trying to get it circulating/cleaning in the meantime.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 11 Jul, 2022 23:51

Tricky to tell but as you have a melted socket already I think it could be a good idea to get it checked. Sorry I cant be more help but not actually being present its tricky.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”