Pump pressure questions

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
VegasDude
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 22,000 cement, whisperflo, pentair cartridge filter

Pump pressure questions

Postby VegasDude » Tue 28 Mar, 2023 14:58

I suspect my filter needs to be cleaned; I'm waiting for some warmer weather, but I wanted to get some ideas as to my filter pressure.

I have a vacuum line and a skimmer line; if I shut the vacuum the pressure goes up to 30; with just the vacuum it goes down to about 24 (its about 22 after a filter clean). What does this difference indicate?

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Pump pressure questions

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 28 Mar, 2023 15:57

Whichever, all it really means is you are pointlessly burning a lot of electricity and getting very little back. For the most part the pressure is just friction ( headloss) you dont need it. My system, designed for maximum efficiency and water quality runs at 0.6 PSI might got to 1.5 PSI if the filter is dirty. With the amount of pressure in your system you are trying to force dirt through the filter and back out into the pool. Slower filtration is better filtration. You dont say much about your filter and pump size etc but it sounds bad.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”