how to run new variable speed pump

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
SunnyD
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Older pool but big

how to run new variable speed pump

Postby SunnyD » Tue 16 May, 2023 00:16

Hi everyone.

I opened my pool this year and unlike last year, everything didn't go according to plan. My pump just hums and then trips the breaker. I tried cleaning any debris out the impeller area but that didn't do anything. I guess over the winter, it decided to pack it in.

Anyways, I was thinking of getting it fixed because I have little knowledge about these things. Most guys charge $100 just to show up. I figured it's time to go variable speed. My old pump was running most the day but I had it on a timer where it would turn off from about 10PM-8AM.

How would I run the variable speed? Will I still see savings if I run it 24/7? Should I still be turning it off at night or should I just lower the speed? I've never owned one so no idea how I should set this up.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: how to run new variable speed pump

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 16 May, 2023 00:56

Firstly your old pump, sounds like the start/run capacitor (condenser) has failed, this is an easy and cheap fix. You could add a variable speed controller but if it all sounds complicated then time to move on. Deciding to buy a variable speed pump is a good one, you only need full speed for backwashing not filtering. Reducing the speed improves filtration by a big amount and save electricity so a win win. Running the pump slower but for longer saves electricity and improves water quality, not least because the water is always moving so leaves etc go into the skimmer rather than getting waterlogged and sinking. By example my pool runs slowly 24/7, it uses the same electricty running 24 hours than the old single speed pump used in just 2 hours! I have a test meter for water clarity and it was obvious the clarity improved to drinking/bottled water clarity. Technically I run at the lower speed to turn over the pool water every 6 hours, that means in 24 hours I have turned over my water 4 times which means 98% of the water has been filtered. Still for the same cost as 2 hours of the single speed pump. My pool has been optimised for maximum efficiency so your result may not be the same but will still be better than before.
It would be good to have a flow meter of some kind so you can adjust the flow to what you require. You absolutely do not need powerful return jets, gentle works just as well. Your pressure gauge should show a much lower pressure than it does now which is mostly wasted energy ( electricity) in the form of friction, reducing that just saves money, your new pump will pay for itself.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
SunnyD
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Older pool but big

Re: how to run new variable speed pump

Postby SunnyD » Thu 18 May, 2023 22:15

Hi, Thanks for the detailed response. I'll try to connect the pump tomorrow!

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”