Install waste shut off valve or replace spider gasket

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
riegal
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby riegal » Mon 03 Jan, 2011 07:44

Nine months ago I replaced the spider gasket in the multiport valve. It leaks when backwashing. When I was researching how to replace a spider gasket I seem to remember reading some advice that said it would be better to install a shut off valve in the waste line and use that when backwashing. It seems that spider gaskets are problematic & frequently leak.

Is doing that, installing a waste line shutoff valve instead of replacing the spider gasket advisable? Would possibly affect the pool filter operation?

Also, when I checked the valve there was sand in the valve compartment of the multiport valve. Is this indicative of other problems with the valve?

Thank you.

Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Postby Larry » Mon 03 Jan, 2011 09:53

Hi Riegal

It sounds like the sand is wearing out the gasket and this should be addressed first. Possible reasons for sand in the multiport valve are:

• a broken or damaged collector at the bottom of the filter
  • low sand level in the filter (with side mount valves)
  • clumping or calcification of filter sand
  • short feeder/ diffuser pipe (with side mount valves).

To overcome the problem of water loss through the waste line on older filters, we sometimes install a valve on the waste line and have noticed no problems as a result. However, one must always remember that a worn gasket may cause a small percentage of the water from the pump to flow directly back to the pool and this may lower filtration efficiency. With minor gasket wear this has not be a problem for us even during vacuuming.

Larry
riegal
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby riegal » Mon 03 Jan, 2011 15:49

Thank you for the response.

Had the filter sand changed about 8 months ago, so it shouldn't low sand level or clumping. And this problem just showed up so I wouldn't think its short feeder. But not sure what a short feeder is so I'll check. Maybe then it's a collector problem. But, again, not sure what a collector is, so I'll see how to check that out.

Question, should water go to waste when backwashing? I didn't think it should but a response on another forum said water does. And if that's the case I noticed the drop in pool water level this time because my wife let the backwash run for 10 minutes whereas I only do it till the water turns clear (45 seconds - 1 minute or so.)

Thanks, this is all a learning process for me.
riegal
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby riegal » Mon 03 Jan, 2011 16:27

Well just did some more research & answered my own question. Backwash water does go to waste. Didn't know that. Like I said, it's a learning process.

Still I'll check out what you mentioned in you answer, seems like that may be prudent.

Thanks again.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”