Low suction/low out put

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
jcrew

Low suction/low out put

Postby jcrew » Tue 11 Jan, 2011 16:17

above ground/15000gal/hayward pro series sand filter
We are new pool owners so please excuse any incorrect terminology.
Over the last 2 weeks the skimmer suction has reduced and so has the pressure of the water being pushed back into the pool through the jet.
we back washed the filter (just thought it would help).
do not see any visible leaks.
any advice?

mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Low suction/low out put

Postby mas985 » Tue 11 Jan, 2011 20:07

Are you seeing higher or lower filter pressure than before? Higher filter pressure could indicate a filter problem and lower filter pressure might indicate a suction side or impeller clog. Were you doing any cleanup recently where you vacuumed up a lot of debris? Also, what type of filter do you have?
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
jcrew

Low suction/low out put

Postby jcrew » Tue 11 Jan, 2011 21:42

yes, lower filter pressure.
no clean up recently, as far as vacuuming, but we have a large oak tree next to the pool that has shed the majority of it's leaves in the last 3-4 weeks. We would have to empty the skimmer basket everyday to keep the water flowing.
the front of the large egg-shaped unit says Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter; is that what you mean by filter type?
thanks for corresponding with us! best regards-
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Low suction/low out put

Postby floridapooltech » Wed 12 Jan, 2011 00:13

jcrew wrote:yes, lower filter pressure.
no clean up recently, as far as vacuuming, but we have a large oak tree next to the pool that has shed the majority of it's leaves in the last 3-4 weeks. We would have to empty the skimmer basket everyday to keep the water flowing.
the front of the large egg-shaped unit says Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter; is that what you mean by filter type?
thanks for corresponding with us! best regards-

jcrew,

You may have a clogged suction line. a great way to clear it is with a hose attachment they sell at most home improvement stores. I believe it's called the "drain king".
jcrew

Low suction/low out put

Postby jcrew » Wed 12 Jan, 2011 08:46

we will give the 'drain king' a try and post the results. thanks for your suggestions, it is truly appreciated!
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Low suction/low out put

Postby Larry » Fri 14 Jan, 2011 07:27

Could be a fouled up impeller too.

After taking the pump basket out try to feel around the pump's impeller for hair, fibrous grass or similar things that can get themselves wound around the impeller shaft.

Larry
jcrew

Low suction/low out put

Postby jcrew » Thu 20 Jan, 2011 13:07

tried the drain king, that didn't do the trick. but that is a good thing to have handy.
called to local pool store and they told us our motor could be bad since the pool has low intake and output; the pump is not hot or anything and sounds like it usually does.
I will try the impeller inspection; will post what i find.
thanks so much for your time; we are hoping to avoid $80/half hour for a repair person...blerg!
mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Low suction/low out put

Postby mas985 » Thu 20 Jan, 2011 20:02

When induction motor fails, it will stop not run slower. Even with bearing failure, the load of the motor increases which then causes the motor to overheat and shut off. So it doesn't sound like a motor failure.

I would check the impeller for a clog. That will reduce flow rate and filter pressure and is a pretty common problem.
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”