Pump looses sucktion when Multiport is set to Filter

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
dmjpierce
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In gorund, 20 x 40, liner, 25,000 gal, DE Filter, probably 20 yrs old.

Postby dmjpierce » Tue 10 May, 2011 16:23

When I have my mulitport valve set to Filter the pump looses pressure within a few minutes and air fills the basket infront of the pump. I replaced the basket lid with a new O ring, still looses pressure. I have recently replaced the fins in the DE filter and added new DE. The strange thing is, if I switch the Multiport to Recirculate it runs fine - great pressure. Since on Recirculate the water runs through all the same pipes as Filter - (Except for the filter itslef on recirc) it seem to me it has someting to do with the filter and not anything up stream from the pump to the skimmers. If there was a leak upstream of the pump I would think I would loos sucktion on Filter and on Recirculate. Any Ideas??

floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Tue 16 Aug, 2011 14:25

dmjpierce wrote:When I have my mulitport valve set to Filter the pump looses pressure within a few minutes and air fills the basket infront of the pump. I replaced the basket lid with a new O ring, still looses pressure. I have recently replaced the fins in the DE filter and added new DE. The strange thing is, if I switch the Multiport to Recirculate it runs fine - great pressure. Since on Recirculate the water runs through all the same pipes as Filter - (Except for the filter itslef on recirc) it seem to me it has someting to do with the filter and not anything up stream from the pump to the skimmers. If there was a leak upstream of the pump I would think I would loos sucktion on Filter and on Recirculate. Any Ideas??

Sounds to me like you may have an issue with your multi-port valve. Did you take it apart recently to put in a new spider gasket or service at all? If so, you may have put the gasket or key assembly in wrong and it is possible the "new" filter position may actually be the closed position. If this is not the issue, try taking the filter apart from the multi-port valve via the threaded unions and inspect the inlet and outlet pipes, etc to make sure there isn't a D.E. clog from the old DE grids. Also, you may want to inspect the top manifold for clogs and broken pieces of plastic and cloth from the old grids as well.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”