Stone Problems

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
cpo2go
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 27,000 gal, pebble tec, all Pentair equipment; DE filter, 3/4 hp, 400k heater, Poolvergnuegen 4x Pool Cleaner

Stone Problems

Postby cpo2go » Wed 10 Aug, 2011 01:04

You're right about the salt water contributing to the deterioration of the stone. Admittedly, I'm not a "stone guy" but I have been taking care of swimming pools for years and I've seen it first hand. My salt pools with stone decks and/or coping have all needed to be sealed. They definitely take a beating from everything they are exposed to but, from what I've seen, you can solve the problem by sealing the stone. I've done it with success. I guess they can charge what they do because it's cheaper than the alternatives :thumbdown:

Maybe the other sealers are cheaper, I've never checked. The Deck-O-Seal works for me and my customers so I stick with it. :)

On more than one occasion I've heard the manufacturers of the salt chlorine generators mention the degradation of stone and it has been written about in many industry trade magazines. The real question is that, outside the US, the pools in Europe and Australia are almost exclusively salt so, do they have these problems and, if so, how are they treating them? I wish I knew.

http://www.cpo2go.com
Pool and Spa Water Care Simplified.
Easy to use, fast results.
dmc123
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 15K GAL 12'x26'
Wisperflow with DE and Pentair IC 40

Stone Problems

Postby dmc123 » Wed 10 Aug, 2011 09:00

I leaning towards comcluding its the salt. Im very dissapointed I loved it. It turns out the stone is a red indian slate. Its gotten really bad now.
In the 2 months weve been using the pool I think the deck is destroyed. Ugg. Ive had 2 stone restoration guys come and they really dont know what to do with it. One want to strip and seal with Americrete 1325 for 4500 for 800 square with no promises. The other wont touch it. Im sick of this pool.
Its making me regret I bought the rest of this great house.
dmc123
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 15K GAL 12'x26'
Wisperflow with DE and Pentair IC 40

Stone Problems

Postby dmc123 » Wed 10 Aug, 2011 09:01

I leaning towards concluding its the salt. Im very dissapointed I loved it. It turns out the stone is a red indian slate. Its gotten really bad now.
In the 2 months we've been using the pool I think the deck is destroyed. Ugg. Ive had 2 stone restoration guys come and they really dont know what to do with it. One want to strip and seal with Americrete 1325 for 4500 for 800 square with no promises. The other wont touch it. Im sick of this pool.

Its so difficult to figure out what to do. Half the people say its salt and the others dont think so. Many people think that I should use a top coat sealer and the other half say penetrating sealer. This is a real pain.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”