Pool Valves setting help

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
raoquendo
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Brand: San Juan Pools
Type: Fiberglass
Model: Mandalay Bay (Pool/Spa combination)
Width: 11'8"
Length: 25' 1"
Depth: 5' 7"
Area:198 ft2
Volume: 6,600 G

Pool Valves setting help

Postby raoquendo » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 10:20

I need to know which is the correct setting for the valves for everyday use. I have a salt filter and I'm including a photo of the valves. I understand there are other settings of these valves, like for cleaning and draining, for right now I need to know the correct setting for everyday use. Thanks for the help.
Attachments
valves.jpg
valves
valves.jpg (247.61 KiB) Viewed 5169 times

CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Pool Valves setting help

Postby CGPoolman » Mon 29 Apr, 2013 14:26

Your return vales (the 2 on the left of the photo) look good. I wouldn't turn the fountain on unless you are out there to look at it. Looks like you water is passing thru the salt cell than going 50/50 into the spa and pool.

Does the spa have a spillover into the pool? If it does, I would leave the spa suction off and open up both the skimmer and pool drain. Looking at the photo, it looks like you have the skimmer open and pool drain closed. I would turn the valve between the pool drain and skimmer 90 degrees clockwise, and the valve on the far right of the photo I would turn it 180 degrees counterclockwise to close off the spa suction. This will draw all your suction from the pool and split the return flow between the pool and spa.

The way the valves look now, it looks like you are drawing all your suction from the spa and only returning half the water back into the spa. This will cause your spa to eventually run empty and suck air into the pump.

-CG
raoquendo
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pool Valves setting help

Postby raoquendo » Fri 03 May, 2013 09:32

Thank you for your reply CGPoolman, it was helpful. Is there any way you can advise on how to drain the pool? Its been raining dogs and cats here in central Florida and my pool is full to the edge. I understand that a overfull pool is not acceptable, thanks in advance.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Pool Valves setting help

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 10 May, 2013 07:40

Pump to waste
raoquendo
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pool Valves setting help

Postby raoquendo » Wed 22 May, 2013 19:41

How do I do pump to waste?
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Pool Valves setting help

Postby CGPoolman » Thu 23 May, 2013 08:12

Depending on your filter, you may not have the "waste" option. This is usually found on sand or DE filters that have a multiport or piston valve. If you don't have one of those, you might have a valve in your plumbing that will allow you to do this. Sometimes there is a hose spigot in the plumbing between the pump and filter that you can connect a garden hose to that will allow you to drain the pool. Some cartridge filters have a drain plug on the back that you can screw in a 3/4" hose spigot and drain it that way.

If you don't have any of these in your pump & filter setup, your next move might be to get your hands on a little submersible pump and drain a few inches out of the pool that way.

-CG
raoquendo
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pool Valves setting help

Postby raoquendo » Thu 23 May, 2013 08:17

CGPoolman wrote:Depending on your filter, you may not have the "waste" option. This is usually found on sand or DE filters that have a multiport or piston valve. If you don't have one of those, you might have a valve in your plumbing that will allow you to do this. Sometimes there is a hose spigot in the plumbing between the pump and filter that you can connect a garden hose to that will allow you to drain the pool. Some cartridge filters have a drain plug on the back that you can screw in a 3/4" hose spigot and drain it that way.

If you don't have any of these in your pump & filter setup, your next move might be to get your hands on a little submersible pump and drain a few inches out of the pool that way.

-CG

CGPoolman,

Here is a picture of my filter. It has a drain plug at the bottom. Do you think I can use that to drain some of the water?
Attachments
photo(15).JPG
photo(15).JPG (116.56 KiB) Viewed 4503 times
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Pool Valves setting help

Postby CGPoolman » Fri 24 May, 2013 08:13

That would be it! Get a 3/4" hose bib with a little teflon tape on the threads and thread it into the hole. It may take a little while to pump the pool down this way, but it is easier and cheaper than plumbing a drain line into your existing pipes.

Just be real careful not to cross-thread!

-CG

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”