Polaris 380 cleaner won't move

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
tbenton
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby tbenton » Mon 05 Aug, 2013 09:14

:( Our Polaris 380 will not move. Wheels turn fine manually and there is plenty of water pressure from the wall. Tail wags and back up valve works but it will not move. Took cover off and turned booster pump on and hubby held it over the pool and water shoots strong everywhere its supposed to. Nothing looked wrong so I took to Pool Store where labor is free and I am familiar with the technician's expertize. The only thing he found was one broken zip tie on an internal hose we were sure that was the problem...ha ha ....not. Took it back with the hose this time at his request and he tested the hose for leaks and all was well. He took the entire Polaris apart and I mean completely and showed me how everything fits/works,etc and looked for any sign of anything being wrong. I helped him examine every nook and cranny and we found nothing . All the parts were in very good condition and of I believe him because he could have sold me part after part. The little 'O' ring was a bit loose but it was in good condition but he wanted to change it and see if that could be it. Well of course he had just used the last one to fix another 380 so he ordered me one. Is it possible that it being loose could possible cause the cleaner not to move at all? As he told me there are lots of parts but there is nothing really complicated about the way these cleaners operate. Its so frustrating and meanwhile the pool floor is getting dirty and I am *spamm* about keeping it clean. SURE DON'T want to buy a new cleaner....OMG. In 27 yrs and only on our second Polaris we have never had the vacuum out of the box and I don't want to have to resort to that. Helped friends clean pools with one and its not that easy. I am fishing leaves out of the bottom at least. Anyone have any ideas about what in the world could be wrong? Thanks in advance

Terri

30,000 gunite/plaster

TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Wed 07 Aug, 2013 01:47

If you are getting water through the cleaner, a few reasons why a 380 would not move:
1) bad bearings inside the motor assembly
2) broken/snapped drive belts for the wheels
3) cracked supply hose and feed pipe(inside the cleaner)
4) see my last paragraph. Water pressure is causing the motor assembly to bind up, locking the gears to a complete stop. Old age of sweep.

tbenton wrote: Wheels turn fine manually

Do they spin when the pump is on? Or just stay idle?

tbenton wrote: The only thing he found was one broken zip tie on an internal hose we were sure that was the problem

That's the manifold supply hose. That feeds the motor wheel which makes the wheels turn. That would cause a Polaris to park at the bottom of a pool. The best way to repair those when they slip off, is to either replace them or heat them up in warm water, quickly slide them back on and zip tie them so they lock.

tbenton wrote: The little 'O' ring was a bit loose but it was in good condition but he wanted to change it and see if that could be it. Well of course he had just used the last one to fix another 380 so he ordered me one. Is it possible that it being loose could possible cause the cleaner not to move at all?

The supply pipe O-ring wouldn't stop the sweep, just leak water where it shouldn't and make it operate sluggishly.

tbenton wrote: In 27 yrs and only on our second Polaris we have never had the vacuum out of the box and I don't want to have to resort to that.

13 and half years of replacement sweeps is not un-realistic. They don't last forever. At some point, the entire Polaris frame and body fail completely and just cannot be rebuilt anymore. When I say fail completely, I am addressing the fact that the plastic frame, due to age, is out of specification to hold all the little parts together and in sync as they did when it was brand new. When that happens, new parts do not work right, press against other parts and freeze up gears. Or do not align correctly when the water pressure flows through the sweep internal mechanisms. I realize they are expensive at over 400 dollars(US) a pop, but if this sweep is making your pool beautiful and enjoyable, that is definitely paying for itself many times over within 13 years.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”