Pool Pole Recommendation

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
smcrea
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Pool Pole Recommendation

Postby smcrea » Tue 15 Oct, 2013 15:50

We've had our pool for 4 years now and have been using the poll that the builder gave us when he first signed it over.

Now the locking collar on the poll has broken and so it collapses itself while brushing. So it's time to buy a new one

Having used the pole for 4 years I've come to the conclusion that the locking collar on the pole is a major point when selecting a new pole.

It's really frustrating when brushing the deep end and have the poll extended and its starts to collapse.. You tighten the locking ring as tight as you can to stop it from collapsing but then you have to un-tighten it!

So cutting to the question: can anyone recommend a pole that is good and has a good locking mechanism on it?

Thanks for any help!

CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Pool Pole Recommendation

Postby CGPoolman » Tue 15 Oct, 2013 20:02

Smcrea,

I don't think you will see much difference from one pole to the next. The plastic collar will break down just as fast on a 60 dollar pole as it will on a 20 dollar pole. Chlorine from the pool, as well as being left outside in the elements all year round will break the plastic down over a few years. I wouldn't drop too much $$$ on a pole, just get a cheap one and leave it out of the direct sunlight if you can.

-CG
TSH Tech

Pool Pole Recommendation

Postby TSH Tech » Wed 16 Oct, 2013 01:00

Yep! At some point, the locking collar type poles wear down. But they are the selection of poles I've been using for many years, because they work the best.

I found a 'hack' for extending the life of the collar lock types. The pool pole is still good but the plastic internal wears down.

Unscrew and disassemble the pole collar. Take the pole completely apart until you get the little plastic internal sleeve that looks like a pipe with a section missing out of the side and flip it around the other way, so the previous top part is now facing downward to the pole connection side.

Now you got some more life out of your swimming pool pole.

Additional hack -
Sometimes the flip around may not work, for whatever reason. You still have one more chance to keep using your old pole. I use a Dremel sanding tool on low speed and sand down the edges of the plastic sleeve until the very thin/worn out tapered slope is just a little bit shorter. The key is don't sand it too much, that slope is needed so as you tighten the collar down, it forms the lock for the pole.

And that is my poolman's hack for the month!

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”