Spa Jets have weak whirlpool output

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
jimmeep
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Jandy RS6 operated free-formed pool about 13500 gallons with attaché spa about 1-foot above pool. I have Starite equipment (heater and Filter)

Postby jimmeep » Sat 18 Jan, 2014 16:14

I have a spa/pool combination controlled by Jandy RS6 control panel - keypad.
The symptom is the spa jets have very weak output. I hired a pool guy to troubleshoot the issue and he said the pump was old and weak. He replaced the whole motor assembly with the Hayward RS1500 (1.5HP) motor. BTW, I have three motors, one is the main pool/spa motor, one is the whirlpool motor, and the third is the waterfall motor.

There are 6-jets on the spa. Once he replace the whirlpool motor, we notice five of the six jets were blowing very weakly, but the sixth was actually sucking. Needless to say, I’ve paid hundreds of dollars to a pool tech and I still have the same problem, a weak blowing whirlpool action – but I do have a new pump for it. So one variable should be alleviated.
Any ideas on the problem?
Thanks,
-Jim

CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Sat 18 Jan, 2014 21:13

Hi Jim,

Take a look at your filter. If you have a cartridge filter, pull the cartridge and run the system and see if that improves your flow. If you have a DE filter, you should have a multiport valve with a "Bypass" setting. Run the system on bypass and see if that helps your flow. Your problem could be as simple as needing a new filter element.

If that doesn't help, check the valves that operate the spa jets and make sure they are opening and closing properly. It's not uncommon for automated valves to need some adjustment from time to time.

A word of advice - find a new pool tech. Pool pumps run, or they don't run. They don't get old and weak.

-CG
jimmeep
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Jandy RS6 operated free-formed pool about 13500 gallons with attaché spa about 1-foot above pool. I have Starite equipment (heater and Filter)

Postby jimmeep » Sat 18 Jan, 2014 23:30

Thanks CG,

The whirlpool motor assembly is a closed loop in/out to the spa and doesn't appear to go through filter (two cartridge StaRite ), so I don't think its a filter problem but I'll check that anyway. I don't know what valves would be involved, all I see are six heads coming out of the spa walls. Hmm! I'm worried.

I just find it weird that when I put my hand over the middle jet, I feel suction and the other five jets have weak output flow.

On the main output line (totally separate from the whirlpool leg), there is a master Jandy actuator for automatic switching between the pool and spa. On the Spa output leg, there is one Jandy (backup) value.

There is a similar Jandy (backup) value on the waterfall leg, but I don't see any type value on the whirlpool leg. So the waterfall in/out resembles the whirlpool setup.

The main line is a little more complicated since it goes through the filter and heater assembly and goes to either the spa or pool depending if its in pool or spa mode, both closesd loop systems (except in pool mode, I have the Jandy value a "little out of parallel" so the Spa is part of the filter system when the pool is on).

I just see a 2.5" pvc coming out of the slab to the new Hayward motor assembly and one coming out the pump assembly which is the output to the spa jets. Seems pretty much a closed loop and not sure where this suction could be coming from.

Thanks again,
-Jim
mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby mas985 » Fri 24 Jan, 2014 10:39

Sounds like you might have something stuck in one or more of the jets. Remove the jet nozzles (deep inside spa wall) with a socket wrench and run the jets to see if you can flush it out.
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
jimmeep
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jimmeep » Fri 24 Jan, 2014 12:59

Hi Mark, you're right on!

Last night I unscrewed the six nozzles (jets), looked inside and noticed a 13/6" nozzle - pressure - reducer. Using a deep well 13/16" socket and recessed in about 5", I unscrewed these pressure nozzles. The hole (output) from these things are very tiny which gives the whirlpool action. Anyway, I noticed that over the years debris has accumulated in the backside of them. I clean them out, put it all back together, and it works great.

Now, I called a nationally recognized pool company (starting with L) to fix this problem. They installed an $800 pump that I evidently didn't need. I thought I was calling the experts, but now what...? I'm at a loss at what to do. $800 bucks is a lot of money.... oh well. I had them out here this morning and showed them that I fixed the problem - and I'm no pool expert - just a curious DIY"er. I'm waiting for the "decision makers" to make it right. What would YOU do?

Thanks for everyone's help.
-Jim

PS: I've got great pictures of it all but not sure how to post them here.
mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby mas985 » Fri 24 Jan, 2014 16:40

I would make it clear that should they decide that they will not do the right thing and take back the pump, you will be forced to make it known to all their potential clients that they are not the most reputable company. Social Media is a great equalizer and most companies understand that poor business practices no longer remain between the business and the client but it is important to remind them that it is pretty easy to express your displeasure to not only the local BBB but every pool forum on the net as well as Facebook, Twitter, etc. But hopefully it won't get that far and they will do the right thing.

Worst case, you could try and sell it on Craigslist.
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”