Zodiac T5 won't start without manual intervention

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
Starganderfish
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: in-ground, pebblecrete, saltwater, Zodiac TRi chlorinator, Zodiac T5, sand filter

Postby Starganderfish » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 00:37

Hi Folks,
We've just recently bought a house with a pool.
The previous owner recently (within last 3 moths) replaced the chlorinator and pool cleaner with a Zodiac TRi chlorinator and a Zodiac T5 automatic cleaner.
I've never owned a pool myself but my parents have always had pools so I have some familiarity.

My problem is that the Zodiac cleaner will not start on it's own when the pump switches on. The pump starts up, the chlorinator and filter fill, the return sends water back into the pool, all looks fine, but the Zodiac won't pulse.
If I grab it, pull it to near the surface and shove my finger into the diaphragm (and yes I know how rude that sounds :oops: ) it will immediately start pulsing and will work fine until the pump switches off however many hours later. If I don't "manually" start it off :lol: it will just sit there indefinitely.
Once started it will continue without problem until the pump switches off, and will again fail to start next time.
I'm wondering if it's a problem with the pump not being strong enough or maybe a dodgy diaphragm...

Starganderfish
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: in-ground, pebblecrete, saltwater, Zodiac TRi chlorinator, Zodiac T5, sand filter

Postby Starganderfish » Sun 16 Mar, 2014 01:34

Turns out the suction from the filter was insufficient. A good long backwash of the filter, emptying all baskets and adding an in-line catcher have helped, as has removing the large jelly-like block of "pool clarifier" the previous owner had shoved in the skimmer basket. The Zodiac will now go around for a while (as long as the basket is empty) but it just get's stuck in the same corner, near the stairs. Just about ready to chuck it and try something else.
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Sun 16 Mar, 2014 12:53

Hi There,

Sorry for missing your original post. With all the spamming on here it is difficult to catch new posts. Before you shell out the $$$ for as new cleaner, take it to a local pool shop and have them give it a once over. Sometimes the diaphragm can wear out and it loses some of its climbing power. That's a pretty cheap and easy fix.

-CG

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”