Low flow problem

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
Chrilit
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20' round above ground
Hayward 1hp pump and sand filter

Low flow problem

Postby Chrilit » Tue 31 May, 2016 19:49

Hello all. I've been experiencing low flow coming out of the jet intermittently. It'll be fine for a day or two and then water flow will decrease dramatically. If I backwash for a short while and set to circulate, flow is restored but only for a while. Some background info...

We had an issue over the winter where the wind took the cover (and half the supports pulled out of the ground) and dumped an entire winter's worth of dirty water that was on top into the pool. Needless to say, we have been trying to clean out debris since pool opening. The chemistry looks good, but the water is still cloudy and slowly clearing. I've been through a lot of vacuuming and back washing over the last week or two. I was also incorrectly not vacuuming to waste trying to clear out the detritus.

I also noticed yesterday a hairline crack in the bottom of the skimmer basket that is leaking water at a slow rate (will be remedied soon).

Could my low flow issue be caused by either a really dirty filter even after a couple of backwashes or from the crack in the skimmer basket? Seems odd that it works fine for a while and then not until I backwash.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”