Pool filter is blowing green

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
acpst19

Pool filter is blowing green

Postby acpst19 » Tue 26 Jul, 2016 17:57

Hi,
We installed a Hayward Perflex DE filter last month. From the time we installed it the return blew out a cloud of white powder for the first 8-10 seconds after start up. 5 days after the install the white cloud turned green. Still blowing for the first 8-10 seconds after start up. We have had the chemicals tested. The CYA was 67, Free chlorine .7, pH 7.5. We added 2 packets of Lo 'n Slo shock to get the chlorine up. The pump is still blowing green (the pool is clear) for 10 seconds at start up. We have changed the DE 3 times since instillation (1 month ago) and have taken the pump apart and rinsed off the fingers. There didn't appear to be any tears in the cloth or cracks in the plates. Any suggestions on what this could be? Is it normal for a DE pump to blow a cloud at start up? We added the correct 5# of DE every time we change it.

Thanks for any suggestions or help!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pool filter is blowing green

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 27 Jul, 2016 12:43

I don't have any experience of DE filters but why don't you contact Hayward and see what they say
De filter
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby De filter » Mon 29 Aug, 2022 05:43

Hi I was wondering if you found the problem and were able to fix it. My DE filter just started doing the exact same thing. We were told to replace the backflow valve which did not fix the problem.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 30 Aug, 2022 00:15

No changing the valve was a stupid suggestion. I hate DE. Expensive and nasty free silica producing stuff, messy to use.
Switch to a sand filter with Dr Drydens AFM ng. Never wears out, never needs replacing doesnt biofoul and better filtration the DE.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”