Replace Polaris pump with main pump

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
dkmulford
I'm new here
I'm new here

Replace Polaris pump with main pump

Postby dkmulford » Sun 05 Mar, 2017 17:48

Hello. My Polaris pump recently went out (the threads corroded off the shaft and the impeller would not turn). I have an extra main pool pump (see attached picture). I'm thinking I will take my extra used main pump and make it the Polaris pump.

The old polaris pump was a 3/4 horse with 3450 rpm. It runs off 230volts and has a 1" input and output.

The used main pump I want to use to replace the old polaris pump is 1 horse with 3450 rpm. It also runs off 230 volts. However, it has 2" input and output. I don't think this is a problem.

I'm curious if anyone sees any problems with me doing this?

Thanks,
D

Main Pump I want to use to run the Polaris:
IMAG0539c.jpg

IMAG0540.jpg

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Replace Polaris pump with main pump

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 06 Mar, 2017 06:10

I don't see a problem with using the spare pump other than the extra cost of running
Do they both have the same GPH and what does the Polaris recommend
dkmulford
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby dkmulford » Mon 06 Mar, 2017 07:13

Denniswiseman wrote:I don't see a problem with using the spare pump other than the extra cost of running
Do they both have the same GPH and what does the Polaris recommend

I'm not sure about the flow rates or the polaris requirements. Would have to do more research on both pumps to compare. I spent all day yesterday online researching stuff...looks like I need to spend some more time.
dkmulford
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby dkmulford » Mon 06 Mar, 2017 07:36

After doing some more research on the Polaris it appears that a 3/4 horse is typical but I never ran across flow rate requirements. However, I found that the Polaris needs to run at around 28 to 32 rpm. If it's running too fast, there is an adjustable knob that, when opened, allows some of the excess water out of the line.

Based on this, I think I'll give the main pump a try and see what happens. Since I'm not running the Polaris all the time, I don't think the extra cost to run the bigger pump is a huge issue. Worse case, if this doesn't work, I'll have to spend about $200 to get a new booster pump.

For what it's worth, the reason why I'm trying to do this instead of buying a new booster pump is because I just ordered a new main variable speed main pump to replace this^ older main pump that runs full blast and costs an arm and a leg to run.

Thanks,
D
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 06 Mar, 2017 09:15

Is it not possible to pipe the Polaris suction line in with the new main pump with a divertor valve added
Although it would be easier to just replace the booster pump and maybe think about changing in the future
dkmulford
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby dkmulford » Mon 06 Mar, 2017 09:35

Denniswiseman wrote:Is it not possible to pipe the Polaris suction line in with the new main pump with a divertor valve added
Although it would be easier to just replace the booster pump and maybe think about changing in the future

I guess you could but I believe doing so would shut off the discharge to the pool jets and divert all discharge to the polaris. That may be ok, but I'd prefer to leave the design the way it is now with the ability to run everything at the same time.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 06 Mar, 2017 15:30

Unless you discharge from the polaris to waste your water would be filtered and returned to the pool
Just an idea

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”