STRANGE! Baracuda now "floats"...

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
AZJim
I'm new here
I'm new here

STRANGE! Baracuda now "floats"...

Postby AZJim » Sat 01 Apr, 2017 09:12

Hi guys,

ALL of a sudden, my perfectly working Barracuda g3 now insists on floating c. 8 to 12 inches above the bottom of the pool, titled at an angle. It does climb the walls and adheres to the surface there of course, but it will not go down to the flat bottom of the pool. In fact another recent perhaps related problem is that recently, much more often than before, it climbs up to wall surface, sucks air, loses prime, then of course falls back and re-primes. This was happening so often that's why I decided to get all new hose sections to eliminate that as a cause.

So now I have weighted the last hose section, with one actual Barracuda hose weight, AND a whole roll of duct tape also on the hose, figuring that would be more than enough weight. But no, it still does this tilted floating thing. Mind you this is a g3 I've had for about 3 years, working perfectly until a few weeks ago.

Ideas? Thanks.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: STRANGE! Baracuda now "floats"...

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 02 Apr, 2017 03:03

Check your pump strainer basket and see if air is being introduced through the lid "O" ring, lubricate and try
AZJim
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby AZJim » Tue 04 Apr, 2017 20:58

Excellent idea. In fact I know I am getting a small amount of air, although not from strainer lid. A very old in ground system, sucking air as the pipes go into the ground after pump. I see bubbles from the returns, so it's likely that my pipe leaks are now worse. Thanks.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 05 Apr, 2017 01:48

Pipes after the pump won't suck in air, that is the pressurised side, it's on the suction side before the pump that has a negative pressure and will suck in air
Bubbles out of the return are indicative of a suction side leak
The reason I mentioned the pump is that is the obvious place to look first especially the "O" ring
One other thing, quiet often you don't notice the bubbles untill you start to vacuum as the hose creates more resistance

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”