No backwash, rinse, or bypass to waste

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
gnieche
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground, 25,000 gallons, concrete, Pentair pump, Pentair triton filter.

No backwash, rinse, or bypass to waste

Postby gnieche » Tue 20 Jun, 2017 11:31

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to pool maintenance. I've had a pool for three years, but just took over the maintenance. I recently replaced the sand in my Pentair Triton II filter with zeolite sand. It worked fine (ran for a week), although I don't think I initially backwashed long enough as it turned my pool gray. During this I noticed I was leaking water out the waste line while in filter mode so I replaced the spider gasket. This might have had something to do with my pool turning color during the first backwash. Anyway, I can now filter my pool and it stays at about 14 psi without leaking out the waste port. I can recirculate and its at 0 psi. I can see water coming out the jets that appears to be clean when set on filter, although my pool is still gray so this is subjective. But I can no longer backwash the filter or rinse, the filter immediately moves to 30 psi and no water comes out. Also, no water comes out when moved to waste. My waste line isn't plugged, there isn't a reason for water not to come out. I'm suspicious that when I filled the filter with new sand that I broke some laterals and now have created some kind of log jam in the bottom (although it would backwash before I added a new spider gasket). I do have some sand in my pool, although not much more than normal. Its not clear to me how, if my filter is plugged, that it won't run on waste mode (which bypasses the filter). I think it could be suggested that my valve is on wrong so I'm selecting the wrong places. But when placed on closed and recirculate, it works appropriately, filter seems to work, I don't see a way for half the settings to work and half not, if its on wrong. There is also a tab on the selector top to line up, its fairly fool proof. The gasket is in the right slot, I don't see a way for this to be he problem, it does have a flat side and a side with an extra contour on top (I have it facing up), is it possible I have it upside down? Anyway, I'm at a loss and will need to backwash my pool soon as my filter will fill up. Any advice, please :-)

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: No backwash, rinse, or bypass to waste

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 20 Jun, 2017 15:11

When you recirculate you are on filter bypass so no pressure
Seeing as your problems started after the new spider gasket, I do suspect that when replacing the top you could have put it back incorrectly, thus covering the wrong ports internally (a usefull tip is photograph before undoing anything)
See if you can look at a similar MPV to check out the correct position. Other than that look inside and see what ports are closed when the handle is in different positions

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”