Hayward navigator gets stuck on main drain cover

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
hmalbaugh

Postby hmalbaugh » Thu 29 Jul, 2010 12:26

riverdogg8899 wrote:Yes no worries. Go to pool store and you can find a drain cover that will go over your main drain cover to help those from not getting stuck.

Good Luck,

Rob
pool store
hmstdboy wrote:My hayward navigator pool vac always gets stuck on the main drain. I have to pull it off of the drain every hour or so. Anyone know a solution?

I found an inexpensive and easy to install solution for getting stuck on the main drain. Go to maindrainclipo an see what you think...

maflip

Postby maflip » Thu 30 Sep, 2010 17:27

Mike C. wrote:I had the exact same problem. Very annoying. My Navigator is about 10 years old, but otherwise works well. I have been very good about replacing parts (even though expensive to buy!!) as needed.
I emailed the Hayward company about the "getting stuck constantly on the pool drain" problem and asked for their suggestions.
A very nice gentleman there sent me a brand new "Variable Throat Assembly" (part no. 29 on their parts list). This was perhaps the only part that I have not replaced through the years. The one he sent differed from the original in that there were two much beefier "lugs" cast into the plastic on the underside. Perhaps this is a new design??
Anyway, to make a long story short, it's been nearly a week now and the Navigator has not gotten stuck on the drain, not even once. Occasionally it will sit atop the drain for about 30 seconds to a minute, but will then manage to walk off on it's own. Hallelujah!! Problem solved!!! :D

I am having the same problem myself...was this hard to install?
hmalbaugh

Postby hmalbaugh » Wed 16 Mar, 2011 11:30

there is an inexpensive, easy to install clip that solves this problem.
Never get stuck again...
paulfpetersen

Postby paulfpetersen » Sun 27 Mar, 2011 10:20

I replaced my pool timer with a 220 volt X10 plug in module. Every hour It turns off the pump for a minute. This kicks the pool vac off the drain if it's stuck. There are many controllers that you program either with your computer or stand alone. I have used home automation for 35 years so adding a pool pump was easy. If you are starting from scratch there is a bit of a learning curve but nothing you can't handle.
cmorozco

Postby cmorozco » Sat 16 Apr, 2011 16:49

Why not take a white plastic coat hanger and snip it to fit over the drain, place the ends in the holes and let of bend slightly over the drain forming a bumper.
rene

Postby rene » Sun 17 Apr, 2011 10:02

You need a new bladder and its easy to install!
hmalbaugh

Postby hmalbaugh » Tue 19 Jul, 2011 20:36

There is a company that sells a plastic clip that "snaps" onto your existing drain cover. The name of the company is Main Drain Clip On. Google it and check it out. I have a Hayward Navigator and it no longer gets stuck after I installed this plastic clip. The cleaner used to get stuck all the time.
cpo2go
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 27,000 gal, pebble tec, all Pentair equipment; DE filter, 3/4 hp, 400k heater, Poolvergnuegen 4x Pool Cleaner

Postby cpo2go » Tue 26 Jul, 2011 00:13

This is a Super common problem as the Hayward Navigator and similar models are made with a very low clearance.
Adjusting the suction to either the drain, the cleaner or both, is the easiest way to fix this.
It depends on how your pool is plumbed and it may take some tweaking but, it will work. If all you've got to adjust is the suction to the cleaner, using the valve that came with the cleaner, then it won't take much effort at all.
http://www.cpo2go.com
Pool and Spa Water Care Simplified.
Easy to use, fast results.
newbe

Postby newbe » Sun 14 Jul, 2013 09:09

I have the same problem. Tried Clip-On, etc., none of which worked. Here is a simple, cheap solution: buy a 1/4" x 3" stainless carriage bolt, 2 SS washers and nuts. Remove the cover and secure the bolt to the cover with the nuts and washers, so that it sticks up about 2 1/2" and replace. The pool sweep can't ride up on the cover. Cost about $2.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”