Pentair DE Grid screen pops off

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
andreseng
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16 x 32 inground, liner, Pentair 48 DE

Pentair DE Grid screen pops off

Postby andreseng » Sun 17 Mar, 2019 17:04

I have a Pentair 48 DE Filter. I replaced it completely 2 years ago after about 20 years of service as I was looking at replacing all the grids. Made more sense to just buy a new one. All seemed well until about half way through the season. I began hearing a lot of bubbles. I would open the top to release air. This did little to help. I began noticing DE on the pool floor. I would vacuum it up and it would reappear in a few days. The bubble noise was constant no matter what I did.

Upon opening the filter to clean it out at the end of the season I noticed they had changed the filter at the top of the grid assembly from what used to look like some sort of filter material to a metal screen. The metal screen had come off somehow and I found it in the bottom of the unit. This lead to the realization that the grids were completely full of DE and this was obviously my problem. The thought of trying to get the DE out of the grids was all consuming. Instead I purchased an entire grid assembly. It also had the metal screen at the top.

Unfortunately, the same exact thing happened again this past season. Bubble noise and DE. Screen popped off and grids full of DE.

What could be causing this screen to pop off allowing the DE to enter the grids? Other than this the pool is perfect. The only backwash I need to perform is after the initial open cleaning as the pressure climbs from all the garbage in the pool. The pressure usually starts at 10 lbs upon opening and usually will only climb a pound or two over the season.

I am getting ready to put my house on the market and I need to address this pronto. Thanks for any thoughts...

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Pentair DE Grid screen pops off

Postby Teapot » Mon 18 Mar, 2019 08:38

One for Pentair I think, a lot of what they make has become flimsy and breaks. I ordered 2 valves from Pentair, one broke as soon as I moved the handle, the other 2 weeks later by its new owner.
I know that doesn't help you but it's a warning about the poor quality of their goods.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”