Urgent- Heat pump choice: Hayward vs AquaCal

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
tech135797531
I'm new here
I'm new here

Urgent- Heat pump choice: Hayward vs AquaCal

Postby tech135797531 » Fri 14 Jun, 2019 08:09

Dear friends.

I am in the middle of installing a 10,000 gal saltwater fiberglass pool (by San Juan). My installer's initial recommendation for an electric heat pump was the Hayward 21404t (140k BTU) but 2 days ago he came to me and said that his supplier is now carrying AquaCal products and he can get for the same price to me and a few hundred more to him an AquaCal HeatWave SuperQuiet SQ225a (143k BTU).

I spent the entire night looking for info on the AquaCal SQ225 and there are no reviews, not much info beyond technical specs. It does have the longer warranty (7 years vs 5 years). I was able to find very few reviews on the smaller AquaCal Superquiets (sq125 and sq166r) and it's mostly people who had issues, but again, very few. I know it has the longer warranty but I really don't want to have to call all the time and deal with the frustration of waiting for weeks or months to have it serviced. My pool installer says that he saw the guts and it looks well made, but he has never installed one before so he doesn't have much direct experience. But that's his recommendation. I just need to let him know by tomorrow.

So does anyone have any info that could help me make this choice? Should I go with a heat pump that seems to be well known and recommended (in the hayward) or go the AquaCal way? Your help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Urgent- Heat pump choice: Hayward vs AquaCal

Postby Teapot » Fri 14 Jun, 2019 14:30

Most of the compressors are made by only 2-3 companies so not much to choose between them. Preferably go for a scroll compressor.
Look at the cold air stats for both.
If possible go for a full inverter DC variable speed unit.
tech135797531
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby tech135797531 » Mon 17 Jun, 2019 10:24

Are there any other opinions? Does anyone have experience with the 2 models that I mentioned, especially as it relates to reliability and support?
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Mon 17 Jun, 2019 10:52

Support often depends on where you are, take a look at companies offering support locally.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”