Whisperflo Motor Swap

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
Flipsonic
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 15k gallon/gunite/in-ground/IntelliFlo VSF pump/Polaris PBSQ4 booster pump/Clean and Clear cartridge filter/SunTrek solar heater

Whisperflo Motor Swap

Postby Flipsonic » Sat 03 Aug, 2019 00:09

My Whisperflo 1 HP motor finally died after 15 years. The replacement VS pump will not be installed for another week. The summer sun is unforgiving out here in Northern California. Not to mention it has been hot. I’m doing all I can to prevent algae. I can’t leave it unfiltered for another week. Since I hardly use my sheer descent pump, I’m thinking of temporarily swapping the motors. They are both Whisperflo. The difference is the sheer descent motor is 2 HP. Can I swap them temporarily? I have a feeling the answer is no but thought I should ask anyway.

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Whisperflo Motor Swap

Postby Teapot » Sat 03 Aug, 2019 01:32

Keep the chlorine level up and don't worry about the pump for just a week.
What are your water test results?
Flipsonic
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 15k gallon/gunite/in-ground/IntelliFlo VSF pump/Polaris PBSQ4 booster pump/Clean and Clear cartridge filter/SunTrek solar heater

Postby Flipsonic » Sat 03 Aug, 2019 09:16

Chlorine is good since I have been monitoring that close. PH needs to decrease. FYI, someone from another forum said it is ok to swap the motors. I may just do that temporarily since it’s a straight forward swap.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sat 03 Aug, 2019 13:01

Well best you just listen to the other forum :lol:
I should have just agreed with you and then you might believe other things I say.
What are your water test results, do you have CYA in the pool? If so then pH doesn't matter unless the other forum says it does :lol:
Flipsonic
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Flipsonic » Sat 03 Aug, 2019 15:01

Success! I swapped the motors and we’re back in business. No leaks. Feeling much better now that my pool is getting filtered again. CYA is low. I use liquid chlorine. Just added acid so PH should be better soon. Thanks for replying.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”