Pool Heater Sizing

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
pb11186
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pool Heater Sizing

Postby pb11186 » Sat 02 May, 2020 22:02

Hey everyone,

I'm installing a 12x25 fibreglass pool this summer. From what i am reading, the recommended heater size for natural gas is 100,000 to 150,000 btu. Anyone know is a 100,000 btu heater would suffice? Or would it be pushing it? We will be using a solar cover, also the pool exterior is insulated with spray foam insulation. Also, I am in North eastern Ontario.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pool Heater Sizing

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 03 May, 2020 03:39

The British thermal unit is a non-SI, traditional unit of heat; it is defined as the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one pound of water by one degree Fahrenheit. It is also part of the United States customary units
A UK gallon weighs 10lb
There are 6.25 gallons in a cubic foot
So you need to calculate the amount of UK gallons in your pool
And then find the efficiency of your boiler
pb11186
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby pb11186 » Wed 02 Sep, 2020 07:58

For future reference for anyone... Went with a 250000btu heater. Water heats up 4° to 5°F per hour. I know the standard is 1°F per hour, but thats too long of a wait for me!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Mikeval
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15k Gallon salt with pebbletec, approx 15 yrs old

Postby Mikeval » Tue 29 Dec, 2020 19:37

I did all kinds of research on this when our poo\spa heater went out but I no longer have it and going from memory which, well... I only heat the spa but wanted btu's for both when it came to sell the house, it would be a benefit. It seemed at the time, doing the straight math, the recommended BTU's were way over what the formula spit out. But it came down to air temps, the depth layout of the pool, the temperature of where you are, etc, Heating a gallon of water 1 degree via the formula does not take into account where that water is, but rather a perfect room temp lab setting so to speak. I don't have my notes but it was something like 30% more btu's than the formula spit out.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”