Pool pump not moving water

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
resullins
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Above ground, 30', chlorine. Hayward sand filter and pump. Vinyl liner.

Pool pump not moving water

Postby resullins » Sun 10 May, 2020 22:19

I'm opening my pool for the season, and my pump seems to stop moving water after a few hours. A backwash fixes the problem, but as I'm trying to get my chemicals right, this is not something I want to keep doing.

Skimmers and filters are clear.
I've replaced my sand this week.
Valve body is all new.
Pump isn't making any weird sounds and pressure does not change between when it's moving and when it's not.
All O rings have been checked and re-lubed.
There's no visual indication of it losing prime.
Backwash always fixes the problem for a while.

Any suggestions? I have no idea how old the pump is. We bought the house 2.5 years ago, and I don't have a history on most of the equipment.

Thank you! I appreciate all suggestions.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pool pump not moving water

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 11 May, 2020 02:39

Did you have algae?, The filter could be clogging up and the backwash clears it until you get another load in it. What does your backwash water look like when it first starts backwashing?
It seems like your pump is working OK, otherwise you wouldn't be able to backwash
Try a new pressure gauge because when the filter clogs up the pressure increases
You won't get your chemicals right until you get the filter working correctly
resullins
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Above ground, 30', chlorine. Hayward sand filter and pump. Vinyl liner.

Postby resullins » Mon 11 May, 2020 10:58

Denniswiseman wrote:Did you have algae?, The filter could be clogging up and the backwash clears it until you get another load in it. What does your backwash water look like when it first starts backwashing?
It seems like your pump is working OK, otherwise you wouldn't be able to backwash
Try a new pressure gauge because when the filter clogs up the pressure increases
You won't get your chemicals right until you get the filter working correctly

No algae, nights are still getting into the 30s and 40s here, so haven't seen any at all.
Again, the sand in the filter and valve (including the pressure gauge) are all BRAND new, so I really don't think that's the problem.
Backwash water looks fine immediately after starting it, but will get a little sandy for a few seconds, and then clear up like normal.

And it seems to happen completely sporadically. Like, yesterday, I finally got it to the point where the kids could jump in and freeze their butts off for a minute, and later that evening I noticed it wasn't moving. So I turned it onto backwash for like 30 seconds, and it's been fine since.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 12 May, 2020 02:57

When it stops does the pump sediment bowl empty or get more air in it
Try running the pump with the MPV set to bypass, not filtering and see how it runs
sherbear74
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18'x48" Coleman I have a swimpro sand filter and a Intex 635t 1500 gph filter pump

Pump not pumping

Postby sherbear74 » Tue 11 Aug, 2020 04:22

Hello everyone
I have a Intex 653t 1500 gph that I can't seem to get it to pump can someone help walk me through the set up virtually of course??? Thank you in advance!!!
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 11 Aug, 2020 11:03

You need to make sure you have no air in your suction side pipe

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”