Zodiac iAquaLink 2.0 Problem - Pump turning on randomly

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
AshburnPoolAmateur
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 30,000 Gallon, Fresh Water
DE Filter - Jandy DEV60
Jandy Pro Series Pump HP - 1.5 HP for main pool
Jandy Pro Series Pump HP - 2.0 HP for spa
Polaris 380 cleaner
iAqualink 2.0, RS8 Combo Panel, REV T.1

Zodiac iAquaLink 2.0 Problem - Pump turning on randomly

Postby AshburnPoolAmateur » Sun 31 May, 2020 12:31

Greetings. New to this forum. I am having trouble with a newly purchased Zodiac iAquaLink 2.0 System. It is the second system I’ve had installed - the first being a rental property. None of the problems I am describing occur or have ever occurred in the first system.

Here are some system details :

* Jandy Pro Series Plus HP 1.5 HP pump
* iAquaLink Product Number: IQ20RS
* Interface: AquaLink Touch
* Model: RS-8 Combo
* AquaLink Firmware: REV T.1
* CPU p/n: B0029221[/list]

Here it is what is happening

* Since installing iAquaLink, my pump will turn on intermittently - by itself - when the schedule in the system is set to have the system shut down entirely. For example - if the system is set to come on at 7:00AM and shut off at 9:00PM, I will notice that the pump comes on – and remain on - at various times during the night, and is often on many days when I wake up at 6:00AM or so in the morning.
* In addition, when the pump is set to go off at the end of the day, such as 9:00PM, after it shuts down it will go through a 15 to 30 minute series of random “start/stop” actions where the pump will turn on and quickly shut back off after about one second or so. It will do that every 30 seconds to 2 minutes, randomly, and then will finally stop after about 30 minutes following the scheduled shut off time.

Here are some things I can confirm:

* The schedule is definitely set to come on at 7AM, and shut off at 9:00PM. I have checked many, many times in the iAquaLink interface via the web interface and smartphone application on my iPhone and iPad. In all instances, the schedule is correct.
* Nothing else is programmed to be on (cleaner, heater, spa, etc.). Again - I have checked all interfaces, and nothing else is showing a scheduled or programmed start time.
* The physical RS8 panel is definitely showing it is in “Auto” and in “Pool Mode”, with the “Filter Pump” on, with LED lights under or next to each of these indicators.
* The system time is accurately set.

Would appreciate any help this forum might offer - and can include screenshots or photos of any of what I describe above, or more details if I'm not being clear about anything. This was not an inexpensive purchase, and I am concerned it may go out of warranty if I don’t get it resolved soon. I do not have great confidence in the skill level of the dealer/installer that I purchased the system from to resolve the problems - so hoping the forum might have some thoughts.

AshburnPoolAmateur
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 30,000 Gallon, Fresh Water
DE Filter - Jandy DEV60
Jandy Pro Series Pump HP - 1.5 HP for main pool
Jandy Pro Series Pump HP - 2.0 HP for spa
Polaris 380 cleaner
iAqualink 2.0, RS8 Combo Panel, REV T.1

Re: Zodiac iAquaLink 2.0 Problem - Pump turning on randomly

Postby AshburnPoolAmateur » Thu 11 Jun, 2020 12:54

Didn't get a single response to this, but thought I would provide an update for anyone who may have similar problems on this forum.

Got some good advice on trying to isolate the problem from a few helpful folks at the TroubleFreePool forum, and here's where it lead. As I was troubleshooting, looking for some sort of patterns on the intermittent rate the pump was turning on/off outside of the program schedule, I noticed something last night. When I booted up the mobile app on my phone, the outside temperature was showing 70 degrees Fahrenheit at about 9:30PM. That was accurate. Then, I noticed the temperature in the app flip to 10 degrees F, then 11, then back to 10....then back to 70. When it went down to 10/11 F, the freeze protect was enacted and the pump kicked on. That kept happening at random intervals throughout the night/morning...and every time it did the freeze protect would go into action and the pump would kick on...just like it is supposed to.

The outdoor temperature sensor on the Zodiac iAquaLink unit is not able to be calibrated, so I just replaced it with a new one this AM. We'll see how we do - but I'll be that was the problem - it looks like it's holding steady. Much easier than trying to get a warranty claim done on an entire board.

As I said, barely any traffic on an issue that I gotta believe based on the response I got on other forums there are at least a few people who've struggled with it, but no responses. Seems like this forum gets a lot of activity, and many other seemingly obscure topics were getting views and responses. Makes me wonder if I did something wrong in the way I posted my initial question. I poked around and could not figure out how to reach out to forum moderators/administrators to ask about it, so just posting it here - not trying to be a jerk.
Ptrenkner
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Aqua link

Postby Ptrenkner » Thu 18 Mar, 2021 10:48

Hi I have a similar behavior... did the outside thermostat replacement solve the problem?
Mtripodi1
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18 ft dia above ground salt water

Postby Mtripodi1 » Sun 20 Jun, 2021 10:58

AshburnPoolAmateur wrote:Didn't get a single response to this, but thought I would provide an update for anyone who may have similar problems on this forum.

Got some good advice on trying to isolate the problem from a few helpful folks at the TroubleFreePool forum, and here's where it lead. As I was troubleshooting, looking for some sort of patterns on the intermittent rate the pump was turning on/off outside of the program schedule, I noticed something last night. When I booted up the mobile app on my phone, the outside temperature was showing 70 degrees Fahrenheit at about 9:30PM. That was accurate. Then, I noticed the temperature in the app flip to 10 degrees F, then 11, then back to 10....then back to 70. When it went down to 10/11 F, the freeze protect was enacted and the pump kicked on. That kept happening at random intervals throughout the night/morning...and every time it did the freeze protect would go into action and the pump would kick on...just like it is supposed to.

The outdoor temperature sensor on the Zodiac iAquaLink unit is not able to be calibrated, so I just replaced it with a new one this AM. We'll see how we do - but I'll be that was the problem - it looks like it's holding steady. Much easier than trying to get a warranty claim done on an entire board.

As I said, barely any traffic on an issue that I gotta believe based on the response I got on other forums there are at least a few people who've struggled with it, but no responses. Seems like this forum gets a lot of activity, and many other seemingly obscure topics were getting views and responses. Makes me wonder if I did something wrong in the way I posted my initial question. I poked around and could not figure out how to reach out to forum moderators/administrators to ask about it, so just posting it here - not trying to be a jerk.
mel.cooper
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 50,000-litre pool

Postby mel.cooper » Tue 19 Apr, 2022 00:33

Just saw this thread talking about the iAquaLink and thought to ask if anyone has their latest iQ30 https://www.zodiac.com.au/iaqualink that can be set up via the phone

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”