Pool Vacuum Valve Stem won't stop leaking (replaced o-rings and diverter)

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
MacMcG
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15,000 Gallon, Salt with DE filter.

Pool Vacuum Valve Stem won't stop leaking (replaced o-rings and diverter)

Postby MacMcG » Tue 09 Jun, 2020 18:24

The Valve Stem for my Pool Vacuum valve will not stop leaking...

I replaced the Valve Stem and the Lid O-Ring's THREE different times with new OEM o-ring sets from Pentair (2 kits and one new diverter guts).
All three sets of O-Ring's and no change at all... water still leaks from the Stem 100% of the time I pool vacuum valve is open.

The more I open the valve, the more it leaks. In order to open it enough to get the MX6 to properly run, the leak occurs and filter pressure goes from about 25 to 18. Then every once in a while the pressure shoots down and a mega influx of air goes into the pump basket - then returns bubble like crazy and it even outs within 30 seconds. If I fully close the pool vacuum valve, the pressure returns to normal and I get no air in the lid or coming out of the jets.

Since the previous 2 brand new O-Ring kits did not fix the leak, I bought an entire new valve. I didn't replace the valve, but I took the guts out and replaced the Diverter, handle and cover. This new diverter also came with New OEM O-Rings.

It still leaks like crazy out of the valve stem with the new diverter and rings. I suppose the next step is to cut out and replace the whole valve but with the way it was plumbed, I'll likely have to replace 3-4 valves and all the piping.

Any thoughts as to WHY this could be happening before I have to have someone come saw this thing apart?

https://imgur.com/a/C7j41t9 Here is an imgur gallery that shows the leak as well as the setup in general.
The plumbing is pretty crazy, there's a ton of fountains and features with no space in between.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”