Salt cell - collar nut broken

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
oroepke
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Gunnite, in ground, 12,000 gal, saltwater, DE filter, variable speed pump, built in 2010

Salt cell - collar nut broken

Postby oroepke » Sun 05 Jul, 2020 19:00

Hi everyone, my first post here, but have been a pool owner for 10 years and feel comfortably with chemicals and maintenance, however have a plumbing question. Pool is a saltwater, 12,000 gal, in ground gunite, DE filter.

I don't see how I can attach photos, is it because the account is new? Anyways, one of the collar nuts that screws on the salt cell to hold it in place in the pipe is cracked and leaks. How do I get a new nut on there? Obviously I don't get it over the collar, do I have to cut the pipe? There must be a better way...

All this happened because the concrete pad where the equipment sits on started slowly tilting to the side and puts stress on the pipes (which is another problem), seems to be that the ground is giving away.

I wish I could add photos, if someone can tell me how to do that i would appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any input!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Salt cell - collar nut broken

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 06 Jul, 2020 01:51

Click Full Editor & Preview
Click Attachments
Click Add Files or you can drag and drop
oroepke
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Gunnite, in ground, 12,000 gal, saltwater, DE filter, variable speed pump, built in 2010

Postby oroepke » Mon 06 Jul, 2020 10:22

Thanks, but I don't see where I can click "Attachments".
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 06 Jul, 2020 12:06

Image-Attachments.png
oroepke
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby oroepke » Mon 06 Jul, 2020 14:50

I feel stupid now :oops:

Please see attached pic. Any way I can replace that collar nut without cutting the pipe? The crack can be seen in the nut on the right side of the salt cell. Thanks!
Attachments
image.jpg
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 06 Jul, 2020 16:29

It looks like it's been overtightened
You will have to get a replacement union and repipe it
oroepke
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby oroepke » Mon 06 Jul, 2020 16:56

I think the reason it broke is that my equipment tilted over to the side, because the concrete pad it sits on gave way. You can see in the pic, the filter should be parallel with the fence behind it.

I looked around a bit more, what if I used a "split nut", something like this, would that work? That way I wouldn't have to cut the pipe.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F3 ... UTF8&psc=1
Attachments
IMG_2714 (1).jpg
IMG_2714 (1).jpg (132.53 KiB) Viewed 673 times
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 07 Jul, 2020 02:48

That looks like a good idea but the only thing holding it together is that small screw
Can you get the right thread
Also there must be stress on that connection because of the tilt on the pad
Has it stopped moving

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”