DRAIN PLUG IN PUMP NO LONGER SECURE. FLIES OFF. PROBLEM IS THE INTERNAL THREADS NOT THE PLUG

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
who4ever
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x36, 25,000 gallons, inground, vinyl, DE filter

DRAIN PLUG IN PUMP NO LONGER SECURE. FLIES OFF. PROBLEM IS THE INTERNAL THREADS NOT THE PLUG

Postby who4ever » Sun 05 Jul, 2020 21:05

I have an Hayward-Perflex EC-65 DE pump/filter for my 25K inground. My problem is one of the 2 drainplugs at the bottom of the pump will not stay in. It shoots out the side of the filter in much less than a minute. I can't say I've never had this problem before and a bag in the garage of worn out plugs makes me realize after 27 years that I have been way over-tightening the drainplugs all this time and now finally I have worn out the female threads within the pump. I'm sure I thought over-tightening was OK because I couldn't imagine Hayward make the female threads out of anything but stainless steel. It seems that the threads are just plastic though. Is that right? So now I have the female larger than the male. I tried smothering it in plumbers tape at when it happened during start-up but it blew out today-figure a 6-7 week repair. It's a good thing I was pretty close when the plug blew out today our I could have lost a ton of water and really messed up the pump and motor. So this is a problem I have to solve within 2-3 days or so, at most, because I had to turn the pump off.So from reading the internet I learned something about re-tapping the holw but then the hole would be way too large for the plug so then I'd need to find a larager plug, etc. etc. etc. That doesn't look like a good final outcome in my hands. I've read the plug could just be glued in place but I'd rather not for a couple of reasons. What I was thinking about is lining the female threads with Plastic Weld, wrapping one rotation of plumbers tape down tight around the plug so the threads are sharp and pushing it in or a little smear of Magic Lube. I thought maybe the layer of plumbers tape or the Magic Lube would still allow me to gently unscrew the plug when I needed to. Another meh because it still allows for the Plastic Weld to fail and the plug comes out when I'm not around. I was also thinking about using Epoxy putty instead of the Plastic Weld. Oh yeah, before I forget, if I chose to glue the plug in, should I take the O-ring off? It seems so because there will be no compression on the O-ring when I push the plug in. I was also wondering if it was possible to screw the plug in from the inside, therefore eliminating the problem of the plug flying out again. I appears from looking at the pump that once I took the motor off I would have access to the inside of the hole. But don't hold me to that one.

How would you people solve this? Thanks in advance, Dave

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”